Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

Spam registration

• Jean-Francois
    Jean-Francois
    Newbie 53 points
    July 14, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Richard’s solution works !
    I also use some others in addition !

• Mark
    Newbie 3 points
    July 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

@ Mark, there are a number of suggestions above, please try a few of the suggested plugins.

Thanks, Mark. It’s a pity you didn’t try them before you set the price.
    I’ll let you know how I get on.

• Danielle
    Danielle
    Newbie 44 points
    July 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm

After reading this AND applying some of the plugins. I then found that the buttons on my site stopped working. I am not sure what plugin I added did this HOWEVER I would like to suggest to Mark that you create a page that has a list of TRIED & TESTED plugins for all sorts of areas that we can all safely install knowing that there won’t be some unforeseen conflict with the system.

This seems like something that a lot of us are dealing with and would probably save you a lot in support man hours if you spent the initial time testing before hand.

Some plugin areas to consider would include:
    – Security
    – Speeding up our sites
    – Anti spam
    – Social plugins
    – Image advertising plugins
    – Email
    – Article
    – Anti Spam

+ I am sure there are more that others can add.

I for one would have definitely appreciated a page within my members account that has an updated list of what is DP approved. So that I am not wasting my own time & breaking my site all the time.

Just my thoughts on this as I can definitely see it always being an issue….

(one might even think that it would be great intel for you Mark to know what features you could include in future updates, so that we all don’t need soo many plugins to fill the holes in what we are trying to achieve…)

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,821 points
    July 16, 2013 at 2:25 am

Hi Danielle

Thanks, the problem i have is i dont get alot of spam. Would be ideal if a user who is having issues with ALOT of spam contacts me and ill work with them.

• Mark
    Newbie 3 points
    July 16, 2013 at 10:27 am

@Danielle I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s a pity nobody listens to these suggestions.

@Mark Just because you don’t get a lot of spam doesn’t mean it’s all good. Remember that we’ve paid for this “privilege” and as paying customers we expect a bit more. If you can’t be bothered to amend your scripts, then at least compile a list with tried, tested and recommended plugins. Pointing us to somebody else’s reply with links to plugins isn’t the same. It’s time to take this a bit more seriously and actually be helpful.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    July 16, 2013 at 11:21 am

The registration is part of WordPress and there are lots of existing plugins out there that can stop registration spam. I don’t see a reason why Mark has to ‘build’ everything into a theme. Why to ‘reinvent a wheel’?

Every additional feature means extra work for Mark (and also extra support if things don’t work the way people expect).

With regards to ‘Tried and Tested’ plugins, what might work on one installation, might not work on other, as each site has different combination of plugins, different hosting etc.

Some plugin areas to consider would include:
    – Security
    – Speeding up our sites
    – Anti spam
    – Social plugins
    – Image advertising plugins
    – Email
    – Article
    – Anti Spam

– security – these plugins have been discussed on the forum, just do a search
    – Speeding up our sites – invest in better hosting
    – Anti spam – Akismet and other plugins discussed on the forum
    – Social plugins – the themes already have support for that or try Social Icons or Social Icons Pro
    – Image Advertising Plugins – not sure what that means. The theme has built in areas for ads or other options is to use plugins such as Ad Rotate
    – Email – again not sure what do you mean by this. If you want to change the ‘mail from’ – there is a plugin Mailfrom for PremiumPress themes
    – Article – there are number of plugins and add-ons like article page templates and article submission templates

If you look carefully on the forum, there is a section called ‘Plugins Share & Recommend’ which does exactly that – talks about tried plugins that work with PremiumPress themes.
    http://www.premiumpress.com/forums/forum/plugin/

Kind regards,

Richard

• Tony
    Tony
    Newbie 7 points
    August 11, 2013 at 6:39 am

I’ve got around 30 WordPress sites, and only the ShopperPress site is under constant spam account creations. It’s gotten to the point of tracking IPs and banning whole Class B networks in .htaccess, which isn’t the most ideal solution, but it’s getting ridiculous.

Even with some of these recommended plugins, they’re still being created. It’s always hotmail.com or outlook.com, and the username / email address are usually male / female opposing in name, or the email address is just so ridiculous that you know darn well that no one possibly can use that.

I’ve resorted to ripping out all the places to “register” accounts so that the only way to do it is when checking out. You can login, but all the options to register are gone. We’ll see if that helps in the next couple hours.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

Tony, have you tried the Stop Spammer Registrations plugin? It worked well for me and since I used it, almost no spam registrations.
    http://www.blogseye.com/i-make-plugins/stop-spammer-registrations-plugin/

I have used many different plugins and solutions, but nothing seemed to work, until I found this plugin. I had many sites and on each I had like 100 spam registration a day! I even had to resort to take some of the sites down. But not anymore.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Ian
    Ian
    Super Guru 1,200 points
    August 11, 2013 at 9:04 am

I tried on Richard’s earlier recommendation and so far, it’s working good. 😉

• Tony
    Tony
    Newbie 7 points
    August 11, 2013 at 4:26 pm

That was one of the first ones I added, right in the midst of them coming in every 2-3 minutes. It didn’t stem the flow. After a couple hours, and adding a simple plugin to show me the user IPs in the list, I saw that in this particular instance it was mostly coming from 142.91.81.* and I just blocked that whole thing.

It’s either they have people doing it, or the CAPTCHAs are getting to be useless.

What options have you enabled?

That it’s only PremiumPress based sites that seem to be the target.. the other sites I have, the few with logins enabled, don’t have this problem.

• Tony
    Tony
    Newbie 7 points
    August 12, 2013 at 10:34 pm

So, in the past 20 hours or so, I have gotten no spam accounts.

The last straw was to rename wp-login.php to something else, and change all the occurrences of it in the code to reflect that.

Of course that means updating is broken. So be it.

I’ll have to do it manually.

Based on the number of blockages, I’m figuring that the lame CAPTCHA was actually being deciphered by page parsers.

In turning on Stop Spam Logins, I’ve actually had people call me and say they can’t login, so I’ve had to set back the time delay of how “fast” the form can be filled out. Which negates a good portion of it’s protection function.

• Jerry
    Jerry
    Newbie 7 points
    September 1, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I only run 2 DP sites that are ~3 months old but are now getting a few registration spams a day as site traffic grows. I am not sure I can work through each recommendation this thread or discern what makes the most sense. If someone has already worked through them and now has an opinion I would appreciate hearing it.

I would echo the request for tested plugins but suggest they just be added to the plugins list in the theme. Perhaps this could be crowdsourced in the forum for customers to provide inputs on plugins that work and ratings which would be open to all customers.

• Javed
    Javed
    Newbie 18 points
    December 12, 2014 at 7:21 am

Wanguard plugin will put a permanent stop to spammers. As a matter of fact in the setting, you will see a list of known spammers in Wanguard database and select all of them and it will dramatically eliminate most of them. It works so good that I have seen no spam registration for months on my other website. In addition Captcha will increase even more.
    Regards.
    Elex.

• Don
    Don
    Newbie 35 points
    April 1, 2015 at 10:27 pm

We use Wangguard and Wordfence. We set up scans called “cron jobs” in Wangguard to scan every day and night several times for what they deem to be called “sploggers”, where they are indentified automatically from a database compiled from previous splogger reports by others. We can use the wizard to delete these regiatrations and all data. We then use Wordfence daily to scan our site for malicious code.
    This issue with these plugins is that in order to block ip addresses for specific “Countries” means purchasing a premium package monthly charge. We tested other country blocking plugins but have experienced conflics so far.
    We have to tollerate daily email reports set from our “cron jobs” in Wangguard, where “sploggers” have registered to our site, and use our logo to post code since we require a listing when you reigister. Wordfence allows you to trace the ip right down to the geo cordinates and we have found them from the Ukraine, Spain, and Kansas City Missouri of in particular and other States in the USA . We can then use Wordfence to block the IP address or ip range permantly. Ip ranges may large such as 2000 users or more, which can disengage your possible present or future client registrations so be careful about blocking ip ranges. You can view street view of the ip locations which is interesting in some cases, but so far no view for the Ukraine which we would like to block as a Country rather than battle with the ip address block. We do follow up by writing to the host providers if identified with abuse notifications to their security departments if their address is available. In some cases we have complained to the Attorney General of a State where spam laws are in place offering the ip address if we consistantly receive issues with the same ip address.
    This is very time consuming and everyone seems to have issues with Classified Theme so hoping there is a better way to combat bogus registrations. All the assistance we can obtain will mean more time spent on developing sites rather than bogging down with spammers or bogus registrations.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)