Child theme won't install

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Child theme won't install

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

Child theme won't install

January 20, 2019
 Åsa

• Åsa
    Newbie 5 points

I tried to install three of the child themes for the directory theme, 10 and 12 and not one of them will install no matter what. After the failed installation I can see them listed under child themes in the editor. Anyone who can explain why they won’t load/install properly?

January 20, 2019 at 1:20 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

If your having issues loading them automatically, try manually downloading them and installing.

Some hosting accounts have restrictions on the filesize and so automatically its not possible.

January 22, 2019 at 4:23 am

• Åsa
    Newbie 5 points

I don’t fully get it, you mean I should download the file and ftp it into my wordpress installation?

January 23, 2019 at 11:01 am

• RAFAEL SANTOS DE
    Newbie 4 points

You download the child themes here: https://www.premiumpress.com/childthemes/

then on your WordPress admin panel you go to Apperence->Child Themes->Add New

January 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm

• Åsa
    Newbie 5 points

Now I have the child theme dentist installed – downloaded and used the “install new” – but I cannot edit the front page.

I can also not get rid of the “call us” thing in the header and I cannot find anywhere to change the footer. I am an experienced wordpress user and I have never come across anything this complicated to set up before *shock*

January 23, 2019 at 12:45 pm

• RAFAEL SANTOS DE
    Newbie 4 points

I bought it 2 days ago and got a little disappointed with the customization options of the theme (I got the Coupon Theme). However the theme does come packed with great features, and it seems to me that they are working around the clock to make it better.

I suggest you leave suggestions on https://www.premiumpress.com/ideas/.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think I can only help you with the customization of the front page. You need to go to PremiumPress->design setupo->page builder and install the homepage template, then you can edit with elementor.

*I’m not really sure if that’s the way but it’s worth a try.

Check: https://www.premiumpress.com/videos/
    (they have tutorials to help you with the fundamentals of the theme)

(Also I’m not sure, but I think with child themes you can edit the source code, if you know WordPress programming.)

January 23, 2019 at 1:10 pm

• Åsa
    Newbie 5 points

I’ve had this subscription since around 2010 and not once did I manage to set up a functioning page.. Have not been around for a while and thought I’d give it go since I’m in need of a classifieds and directory listing system.

But I cannot get anything to work accordingly. Now with the childtheme installed I cannot get the listing template to update in the frontend like you’d assume it would if you “edit template” and save/update.

January 23, 2019 at 1:18 pm
  • patrik
    patrik
    Newbie 49 points

Asa, I undestand your frustration. I made some really rude comments here, because me too, I cannot believe, that theme on the market for over 10 years is still unpolished and you must study it nearly from scratch.

But the good news is, it works for me. I made it and I am quite happy now.

What you need is:
    Multiple hostings: some themes /childs/ wont work on some hosts /maybe php errors dunno…/So it is always guessing and hoping for the best.
    2 weeks time: Basically if you had dirpress experience before, you can build up on it. For example. google maps wont load for me correctly on submission page. 3 days later I found out, that in google API I had to enable additional API map services in order to make it work. This information is not published, it is not visible on videos and documentation doesnt carry it.
    Their forum crashed here and it is ghost town recently, so you cannot find solution for it anymore.
    Luck. Dont relly on support. THey ll ask you question instead of delivering solution.

I personaly use cheap VPS servers, with centminmod, nginx, php 7+ beta installs, works for me…jinxx

January 23, 2019 at 7:29 pm

• Åsa
    Newbie 5 points

About google maps I have used it for other projects but when I went in there to set this directory page up they asked for details so they could charge me – for their paid services – even when not using those so I said bye bye to the google maps API full stop.

What I don’t understand is it doesn’t seem to be somewhere to turn off some things like social links etc. Normally in other themes there’s either a switch for it or you can just remove text and press space to clear things up. As for now I have four social network icons in the top bar I cannot get rid of which is highly frustrating.

January 24, 2019 at 9:23 am

• Lars-Gunnar
    Newbie 6 points

I also couldn`t load a child theme from the child theme folder, it said it was nothing there (but it was) Instead I found the child theme I was trying to install amongs the regular Wp themes, and when i clicked on it there it installed allright.

January 25, 2019 at 7:52 am

• Åsa
    Newbie 5 points

Thanks Lars-Gunnar

January 25, 2019 at 8:31 am
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team