Henk

Site replication

Mark, my business model calls for running multiple independent regional directories (identically looking & features) on a multisite install ... - the "plan" was to setup a master-template and then clone regional sites as needed (+/- 30). - Used NS Cloner and tested on 7.1.4 ... worked perfectly. Cloned sites with all settings, menus, categories, everything ... ! - then I fell in love with the new Responsive theme and decided to build it on that ... - just ran my first clone-test with the Responsive 3.7 ... TRAINSMASH! Almost none of the settings cloned except for menus and my own defined CSS from what I could see. Images, home-page layout, etc. all is missing and trying to "set it up" throws php errors ... which I have no clue how to read. Knowing the "structural" differences between 7.1.4 and 3.7 (as the coder) do you have any immediate thoughts or steps I can try? I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, so tell me to go jump if needed, but I thought I'd quickly ask before reverting back to 7.1.4

Created: July 24, 2013 at 8:34 am
  • In: Directory Theme
  • Started by: HenkHenk
  • 6 members left 21 comments
  • Last reply from: Mark FailMark Fail

• Jey
    Jey
    July 25, 2013 at 7:42 am

😉

(sorry, it is DP and not DP )

• Henk
    Henk
    July 25, 2013 at 11:38 am

Mark, a thought just popped into my mind … if I convert a site from to Responsive … what happens to the Country/State/Region data. Does it get converted to taxonomies … or is it already a custom taxonomy?

• Henk
    Henk
    July 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Ok … for Jey and others interested, I created a test multisite, with a template master-site in and then cloned it out. Worked fine up to that point. I then installed the theme and updated the sites one by one to the new theme but it didn’t work. The sites with the new theme lost all formatting created in I now have a suspicion that maybe the Responsive theme doesn’t play nicely with multisite in the first place, and that it has nothing to do with the cloning. Will run another simulation and report back … 🙁

• Henk
    Henk
    July 26, 2013 at 5:33 pm

OK. Tested setting up multiple Responsive sites in a multisite installation by just creating one new site (dub-directory) at a time. It installed and worked perfectly. So works Just Fine on a multisite … but don’t try and clone it. After creating 2 sub-sites in the multisite which both worked out fine (but had to now be set up from scratch each) I decided to run another SIMPLE clone. Took sub-site-1 and changed a few basic settings and then cloned it. Again it did NOT work. It loses all settings and even basic formatting. Quite a mess. If someone else figures a way around this please let me know. I will stay subscribed to this thread.

• Richard
    Richard
    September 25, 2013 at 10:50 am

Have you tried to approach the clone plugin developers to see if they can narrow down the issue since the responsive theme works fine in multisite?

Richard Wing
    623-505-6302
    skype – richardwing

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    September 26, 2013 at 7:02 am

🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)