Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

Site replication

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 8:34 am

Mark, my business model calls for running multiple independent regional directories (identically looking & features) on a multisite install …
    – the “plan” was to setup a master-template and then clone regional sites as needed (+/- 30).
    – Used NS Cloner and tested on 7.1.4 … worked perfectly. Cloned sites with all settings, menus, categories, everything … !
    – then I fell in love with the new Responsive theme and decided to build it on that …
    – just ran my first clone-test with the Responsive 3.7 … TRAINSMASH!

Almost none of the settings cloned except for menus and my own defined CSS from what I could see. Images, home-page layout, etc. all is missing and trying to “set it up” throws php errors … which I have no clue how to read.

Knowing the “structural” differences between 7.1.4 and 3.7 (as the coder) do you have any immediate thoughts or steps I can try?
    I know this is a bit of a “how long is a piece of string” question, so tell me to go jump if needed, but I thought I’d quickly ask before reverting back to 7.1.4

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

hi Henk

just so i understand, your trying to replicate your sites over multiple domains or on the same domain?

images are stored in WP as normal (wp-content/uploads)and home page and core settings are all stored within an array.

its would be difficult to say what might be the issue without seeing the errors or your setup, it could be something very simple or something very complicated.

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:32 am

Same domain … multiple sub-directories

Let’s not stress about it now. I am out of time so will just rebuild everything on 7.1.4. It is still a fantastic directory platform in my opinion. Just need to do some extra styling to make it look “pretty” like the Responsive.

As soon as I have it launched and over the hump I will set up a test-site and if you have time we can have a look at what the conflict is. But it’s only going to be in a few weeks time.

Thanks for responding.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:35 am

would it be easier just to use WP network?

also how are you replicating? (please dont say copying the DB from one to the other)

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

Mark .. see edit to previous comment. Thanks. :)

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:40 am

np, why i suggest network is that you can installed the theme once, setup 10000’s networked sites and make a button click to use the same settings as any of your other sites.

so it saved hours of work, reinstalling and makes updates a breeze.

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

When you say “network” are you referring to a Multisite Network … as in the old WPMU? (One mother domain with multiple sub-domain or sub-directory installs as children off-off it all sharing the database/themes/plugins etc?)
    – if yes then yes that’s what I am doing
    – if no please give me a link or software-name so I can go research.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

yes the new WPMU (ie, wordpress with the sites option)

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

That’s the one. I’m on the right “page” then … thanks!

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    July 24, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Or just use BackupBuddy to clone everything (including all settings and images)

• Brandon
    Brandon
    Titan 709 points
    July 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Not to take away from Henk’s topic.

I just finished the development of my Website and would like to have all 10 different DOMAINS with same Pages, Post and Products.

What is best way to do this.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 25, 2013 at 1:39 am

i dont think multisite allows domain parking without a plugin, not sure you’ll need t find out.

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 25, 2013 at 4:57 am

@Clive Have you actually used BackupBuddy to clone Responsive 3.7 within multisite? Because 7.1.4 and 3.7 definitely responds differently to cloning within a multisite … which is where my problems started.

@Brandon If you are using multisite, just set your mother-site up to run “sub-domains” and not “sub-directories”. Remember all those domains have to be parked on the same server/cPanel. If you want to run completely separate sites with separate databases, use a good cloner like BuddyPress to clone/update as Brandon suggested.

• Jey
    Jey
    Senior Member 127 points
    July 25, 2013 at 6:16 am

A small thought!
    Using NS cloner, create all required sub-domain sites with DP 3.1.7.
    Then, update the Theme to R-DP3.7 and move the contents using Mark’s “DP to R-DP plugin”

Since you are running out of time, will it work this way?

Anyway, wish you all the best Henk, for your new launch.

Thanks
    Jey

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 25, 2013 at 7:07 am

That’s a GREAT idea Jey!
    Build it on 7.1.4 and then convert each sub-installation to 3.7.
    Will simulate it on a test-site.
    May just work. Thank You!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)