Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

Searching by State

• Juana
    Newbie 2 points
    July 7, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Hello!

I would like to use the Advanced Search widget to search by State, but so far I can’t make it work. I can’t get it to list the states in the dropdown menu, the only thing is displays is dashes “- – – – ”

I thought I could make it work by going into General Settings > Search options and setting the “Select a field to search” option to “2. State List (location taxonomy),” but it didn’t work.

Does anyone know how to make the Advanced Search widget search by state? I would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance!

• Binesh
    Binesh
    Elite Member 431 points
    July 8, 2013 at 2:46 am

Hi Juana

As far as I know State list is not part of the default theme. If you want to show all the states in the US, you will have to add them under ‘Directory Listings’ ‘Count/state/city’. If there are many countries and states to be imported better to use Bulk import plug in. That is what I did for my website. As it is a tough task to gather the state list of all the countries, I removed that option and included a custom City search box. My link is http://my-directory.org/

I am not an expert on directorypress, hope anyone in the forum correct me if I am wrong and help Juana.

Thanks

• Juana
    Newbie 2 points
    July 14, 2013 at 6:05 am

Wow, thanks so much, Binesh–you were so helpful!! That worked!

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,821 points
    July 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm

@Binesh, thanks for sharing

• Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points
    July 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I have the csv import plugin from mark that does listings, where do I get the

If there are many countries and states to be imported better to use Bulk import plug in.

mentioned above to import a list of cities for my responsive directory

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,821 points
    July 15, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Mike..there i no need to import cities into your responsive theme..users do all the hard work for you.

• Tal
    Tal
    Newbie 24 points
    August 29, 2013 at 2:44 am

How can we test search by city / state if they have not yet been entered into the system?

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,821 points
    August 29, 2013 at 2:45 am

Not sure i follow, if there are no users who have selected a city/state for their listing you wouldn’t need to test as you already know the result. …. 0 listings found.

• Vimal
    Vimal
    Newbie 21 points
    November 10, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Hello Binesh
    Ive seen you website, nice one!
    But I need a help from you dude, concerning the advanced search on the left sidebar.
    I want to create the advanced search similar to yours. Keywords, Category, City, and District.
    My question to you is:
    -In your website, for keywords, category, country, city, can you please tell me what you selected in the under the General Setup>Search’show options‘ for each of them?
    -How and where you have inserted the list of all the countries(I wont import any of them), under taxonomies or custom fields?
    Please help, thanks!

• Binesh
    Binesh
    Elite Member 431 points
    November 11, 2013 at 1:21 am

Hi Vimal,

I assume you are using responsive theme. There is a video created by Mark under Theme Options > General Settings > Advance Search which will clear most of your doubts. If it is V7 Theme things are a little different.

I have attached a PDF file which might help you.

Unlike V7 you don’t need to import countries, States, cities etc in responsive theme. Country list is readily available in the theme itself. States and Cities will get added when user creates a listing, which means user does the work for us.

I have just used Keyword, Category, and Country for my website http://www.dotix.org

If you are using V7 theme let me know.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Vimal
    Vimal
    Newbie 21 points
    November 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thanks for your reply Binesh!

I am using Directory theme V7.1.3, not the responsive theme.

In fact, I have added City and District(I wont deal with countries) in the custom field,and by ‘default values’ I have inserted all the Cities and Districts in a drop down list respectively. Both appear in submission page where the user will have to select both City and District(for adding a new listing) and when viewing a particular listing, City and District will be shown.

What I want is on the Advanced Search, which is composed of:
    Keywords
    Category
    City
    District

City and District must have the same default values as assigned in the custom field.

In the advanced search,user will have to select city and district’s values just like I have assigned them in the custom field.
    Like for your website,I may assume it is a non-responsive theme,
    http://my-directory.org/

And searching keywords in the Advanced Search, it does not search for neither keyword nor tag.
    Image 1 is how I want it to be, which I already did.
    Image 2:
    Under ‘Search Field Options‘, what should I select for each:
    Keywords
    Category
    City
    District
    Concerning City and District, how to retrieved all default values for both, as I have assigned them in the custom fields, to appear the same in the advanced search in a drop down list.
    Please help, I am stuck with this part since 3 days.
    Thank you!!

Attachments:
  • Binesh
    Binesh
    Elite Member 431 points
    November 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Vimal you are right. http://my-directory.org is non-responsive. My current setting is attached if it helps. Please give a try.

I am not understanding why did you choose City and District instead of State and City OR District and City. In your case, is city parent of district? Or are they two separate search fields? Am confused…..

Attachments:
  • Vimal
    Vimal
    Newbie 21 points
    November 11, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I have 9 districts in my country. All cities, in every 9 districts will be found in the drop down list ‘City’. Both are two separate search fields.

As far as I know State is not available in my country. I am from Mauritius.

The search field ‘District’ is what I want the users to see, but in the Directory theme, can I use the state list to display all districts?

Under Submission>Custom Field, I have created two fields, namely City and District with both default values assigned to them. Both ‘field type’ are list box and these two fields are shown in the submission page for inserting a particular listings.

So my question is how to retrieved all assigned default values for City and District
    in the custom fields to appear the same in the advanced search OR where to add them if cannot retrieved the values as they are in the custom fields?

Please see attachment.
    Thank you Binesh!

Attachments:
  • Binesh
    Binesh
    Elite Member 431 points
    November 12, 2013 at 12:59 am

Your query is a bit complicated for me… :roll: as I am not an expert on this. Any way I just tested this on one of my inactive websites and it seems working.

Link: http://www.dotixlegal.com

This is what I did.

1. Go to Directory Listings->Country,State,City – Add Mauritius as country, Flacq as State and Argy as City/Place

2. Submission->Set Up->Country Options YES for all packages and hit save.

3. Go to General Set Up -> Search -> add District and City as search fields.
    District- State List (Location Taxonomy)
    City – City List (Location Taxonomy)

• Vimal
    Vimal
    Newbie 21 points
    November 12, 2013 at 4:27 pm

It works,thanks loads Binesh :)

But unfortunately my keywords search field don’t search for any tags or keywords,
    only title and short description, for you website http://my-directory.org it do search for title short description as well as Tags/Keywords.
    Don’t know why!

I used the same search field option as shown in your attached PDF file.

And their is a mistake with the Directory theme.
    Try to see it yourself.

For your inactive websites:

http://www.dotixlegal.com

From homepage>City list box
    select ‘Baie Manioc’
    Click on search
    Message appears:’ I’m sorry, we couldn’t find any results matching your search criteria. ‘
    This is good.
    But beside the list box ‘City’ where Baie Manioc is still selected,
    try to click on the refresh icon (green color) you’ll see the list box disappear and click on the refresh icon beside the District list box now
    you’ll see the list box style change while comparing it to the above category list box.

On your active website as well

http://my-directory.org

Try to search for Singapore from country list box.
    When results are found, click on the refresh icon, you’ll see the style list box for country is changed.

Any way thanks again Binesh.
    :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)