Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
Michal

Directory search bar

Hi guys, long time no see! Just thinking of starting new website and keep cheking child themes https://dt9.premiummod.com/?skin=directory_food for example and see search by town, city or zip isnt working. Cant find any listing from London or Fulham etc It there a way to set this up in admin or where? Thanks

Created: April 6, 2020 at 10:27 am

• Christopher Lee
    Christopher Lee
    April 13, 2020 at 12:33 pm

@Julian

Thank you so much for explaining.

I was able to get in touch with Alex on the LiveChat, who was very helpful, unfortunately, Alex revealed that the search function in Hero Style #31 is limited to only 1 choice – City, or Zip.

Actually, the ‘Near By’ search option on the listing page returns nothing when you put in city or zip code smh

To add, it seems the themes are under-utilizing Googles API services by only needing Maps Javascript API – there are 17 Map API’s.

I decided to try out HivePress and they use 7 out of 17 Maps APIs, with very clear and simple documentation (and all free), and it will function like a google-powered search tool should e.g. search by the zip code you add and list businesses within x miles/kms of said zip code, auto-populate addresses as you type them in etc.

This is what DTv9 needs to adopt otherwise I’d consider it broken.

IMO the search tool is the most important feature of a directory website. It is vital that customers can quickly locate businesses by typing in town/city/zip/keyword. If they are restricted to only one or two options, then you significantly reduce the chances of businesses being found. And it’s these businesses that you are trying to sell listing and membership packages to.

Also, no csv import/export? I digress…

Thank you guys for your time/input.

Chris

• Iulian
    April 13, 2020 at 1:05 pm

I fully agree with you.

As I said – in my view search the core part of a directory. I will try more a little bit to see if I can adjust it, in order to try at leas to put something online as a test.
    In My country there is no common habbit the zip code – therefore if city works for my might be enough.

Thanks also. Cheers!

• Michal
    Michal
    April 17, 2020 at 7:49 am

@JamesD
    “PP theme vals/params are usually quite different, which is why most 3rd party solutions for this type of thing would need to be specific towards the theme”

“however the challenge has been with the core functionality changing to where it breaks the process and then it becomes pretty time consuming to track down all the changes to update it after every/every other new theme version”

I agree, I’ve tried work on this themes in the past but every theme update I had some new issues in theme functionality or 3rd party plugins which made me feel like Sisyphus

@Iulian
    thanks for sharing I will try out your option as I will also rely only on city search.

Did anyone contact support or got some answers?

• Krishna
    Krishna
    May 31, 2020 at 1:57 am

Pincode search not working for me

Copyright © 2010-2020 PremiumPress Limited.

secure payments