Directory search bar

• Michal
    Michal
    Senior Member 120 points
    April 6, 2020 at 10:27 am

Hi guys,
    long time no see!

Just thinking of starting new website and keep cheking child themes https://dt9.premiummod.com/?skin=directory_food for example and see search by town, city or zip isnt working.
    Cant find any listing from London or Fulham etc
    It there a way to set this up in admin or where?

Thanks

• Iulian
    Newbie 32 points
    April 6, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Same issue for me. Made a testing into 2-3 scenarios.
    Search by where field does not return any value. Tested with town, county etc.
    ghidbeauty.ro – website

• Iulian
    Newbie 32 points
    April 8, 2020 at 7:36 pm

Is somebody actually looking at this posts and answering?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,726 points
    April 10, 2020 at 11:01 pm

@Michal, @Julian
    I’m confident there are multiple issues with the searching aspect of the theme(s).
    I’d recommend contacting support. Otherwise, we can only wait and see if it’s corrected in a future theme update.

@Julian
    “Is somebody actually looking at this posts and answering?

No clue. I do know that I’ve attempted to make several posts in other threads (multiple times), but for some reason they were never posted. Those post titles even show up under my profile for “Recent Posts”.

• Iulian
    Newbie 32 points
    April 11, 2020 at 8:34 am

Hello,

Happened to me twice: wrote a message and nothing posted.
    The actual issue I discovered as beeing th search parameter.

The search in constructing th url with &zipcode=mangalia
    How I can change the construction with &city=mangalia.

Thanks.

• Adnan
    Adnan
    Elite Member 543 points
    April 11, 2020 at 4:40 pm

I think the best way is to change it to a dropdown-list of cities. It used to be a droprdown-list for cities, countries etc .. in early versions of v9, but unfortunately they changed it.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,726 points
    April 12, 2020 at 2:32 am

“The search in constructing th url with &zipcode=mangalia
    How I can change the construction with &city=mangalia.”

Unfortunately, I find it to be of a deeper issue than just parameters… at least from my experience so far.

• Christopher Lee
    Christopher Lee
    Senior Member 348 points
    April 12, 2020 at 3:51 am

Glad its not just me – looking forward to some reply.

Anyone explored 3rd party plugin options search via zip or location actually works?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,726 points
    April 12, 2020 at 5:46 am

@Christopher Lee

“Anyone explored 3rd party plugin options search via zip or location actually works?”

PP theme vals/params are usually quite different, which is why most 3rd party solutions for this type of thing would need to be specific towards the theme, manually integrate to work around issues or only work with their own data/settings setup and not the theme settings. It can be done, just seems to be more involved for the average user to get it working the way one would expect things to work.

I had actually created an Elementor plugin to use with the theme, however the challenge has been with the core functionality changing to where it breaks the process and then it becomes pretty time consuming to track down all the changes to update it after every/every other new theme version. It’s been a couple/few months since I’ve gone over it. After the next version I may go at it again to fix any broken portions (again).

The intention was to come up with a solution where it doesn’t rely so much on the theme so much and/or handle things a little better, but from my experience that’s always been easier said than done with the themes.

• Iulian
    Newbie 32 points
    April 12, 2020 at 7:18 pm

@JamesD I am afraid that I do not understand.
    First of al lthe search specifies: city, town, or zip code. So my understanding is that the actual searcjh takes this into consideration

Second – the search is looking only by zip code. &zipcode=mangalia
    Becouse this is how is making the request. And the sistem answers correctly – not fount.

Changing into the same url the parameter with city- &city=mangalia mreturns correct values.

So it is a correct assumption that:
    – the search works – since making right request returns correct values
    – the request is wrong.

So actually my question is not how ti change the search – but the request.
    I assume is something with get_serach_form, but I cannot find-it.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,726 points
    April 12, 2020 at 8:26 pm

@Iulian

On my end it’s more than just the parameters. Using the parameters still does not display the results for me, so that tells me something more involved is going on.

You can change the Hero header within the elementor template and select a style that has the ‘zipcode’ param you’re looking for. (I believe it’s style #31).

Again, apologies for the incorrect name in the previous post.

• Iulian
    Newbie 32 points
    April 12, 2020 at 8:30 pm

@JamesD. I was about to post the same result.
    Yes indeed I found in Elementor\Hero and fount the code.

https://www.ghidbeauty.ro/?s=&radius=100&city=mangalia

Now it make the search correctly – is retrieving the corect listing.
    Thanks.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,726 points
    April 12, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Glad you were able to get it working Iulian.

• Christopher Lee
    Christopher Lee
    Senior Member 348 points
    April 12, 2020 at 11:47 pm

@Julian – how did you get the city search to work? i.e. what settings did you change/edit to make it to work?

If I add a listing based in “Hamilton” (city here in New Zealand), it returns no listings when I search for Hamilton in the town/city or zip code field.

What google api’s did you have enable to make it work? The instructions within the theme are vague at best.

Thank you

• Christopher Lee
    Christopher Lee
    Senior Member 348 points
    April 12, 2020 at 11:48 pm

Also, does your zip code function work?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes