Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

What Is Up With This Map?

• Steven
    Steven
    Newbie 69 points
    July 23, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I was having lots of fun with the NEW responsive directory until I came across this Google Maps. What a mess! Once people add the address for their business, that should be it, Rather, your theme make them actually click on the map and try and find their address. This will make people walk away from this as I am frustrated myself. Imagine people that do not know too much about computers stuff and the internet and they try and make a listing. Why do you have to click on the map in order for this map system to work? Why cant it be simple enough just to add the address and that’s it?

• Steven
    Steven
    Newbie 69 points
    July 23, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Please see image attached

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 4:09 am

Steven an address by itself is no good, it gives your website users nothing to search by and wont let you plot anything on a google map.

the one extra step of asking the user to actually click the map gathers all the extra data, long/lat and their actual mappable address so your website can function better.

If you dont like it, you can always turn it off. Im sure when your visitors try searching for listing by country,state,city or zip/post code and find they can’t, you’ll be asking yourself why you didnt enable it though.

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Newbie 53 points
    July 24, 2013 at 5:17 am

But whats the use of data which aren’t 100% correct?

When I go to “Google Maps” and enter a complete address, they place a pin exact at that location.
    Isn’t it possible to assume this pin?

On the other hand, when I enter my address into the submission form whith only “Street Housenumber, City” and click on search, zip code and country are added by google automatically and correctly.

Longitude and Latitude also are there (I see them in the generated code).
    Copying these values into google map search gives back the 100% correct location.

In my opinion all “extra data” already is provided at the moment when the adress is verified and displayed in the address field by Google Maps.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 5:33 am

If you enter an address into the address box it will try to locate it for you, ill see what i can do to make it auto add the marker.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 5:37 am

ok iv adjusted the map tool so when you type in your text it also populates the map display saving the extra click.

• Gerry
    Gerry
    Newbie 61 points
    July 24, 2013 at 5:43 am

Great to hear you made this little mod on the map, I know that I appreciate it and I’m sure others will too.

Thanks

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Newbie 53 points
    July 24, 2013 at 5:55 am

Very glad about this, Mark.
    :)

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 5:59 am

np, will be in 3.8

• Steven
    Steven
    Newbie 69 points
    July 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Thanks Mark :)

Its just that you, I and most people in this Forum will be able to figure this out, I am worried about people that are not too computer savy and when they have to click, the lat / Long for their location gets changed and its really hard and time consuming to actually try and find an address by zooming on the map. If you can make it that when people actually type their address in, it automatically provides the correct lat/Long, this would be perfect!

One more question please mark. I have added the country as a database key, the state does not seem to work for me however. Is there a way to have the country drop down, then the province or State to show based upon the Country selection?

Thanks Mark and Team

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

hi Steve

The state option was removed since it caused abit of confusion, since there is no need to ask people for their country/state/city via custom fields its pointless having it. Waste of database space and resources since its collected via the map.

• Steven
    Steven
    Newbie 69 points
    July 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Ok got it, thanks.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 25, 2013 at 1:39 am

:)

• Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points
    July 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

ok iv adjusted the map tool so when you type in your text it also populates the map display saving the extra click.

Not sure if this could be programmed, but the way that google handles this issue during directory creation is to take the data items that the human is used to entering which are address, city, state, zip (or equivalent in other regions). Then a map location is presented on a map that is completely zoomed in so there is no doubt of its location because all the cross streets are visible and a “close in” zoom level. Then the individual has a chance to move the map pin by dragging it to a different point, in the event that it needs adjusting.

In this theme there is no requirement for an address, city, state, zip field and so you are trying to generate these fields by 1. taking a string of data (containing all these items), generating a map location, then asking for a click to populate these fields in the background with no feedback that they are even accurate.

I can see why it makes sense to not require address, city, state, zip as part of the theme as it makes no sense for a website directory etc.

But as soon as the option is chosen to display a map on a listing, by definition the address fields will be required.

Instead of trying to populate these fields in the background, why not just add these fields to the required input fields as soon as the map option is chosen, or better yet, include a global option, “Listings include physical location”

To finish off this suggestion I should note that on a business directory there will always be businesses that want to be listed that do not want a physical address revealed so there needs to be an tick box or option to turn of the address/map display on a per listing basis.

Mark, I for one and I am sure others will agree that we appreciate you listening to our suggestions to make the Responsive Directory theme to be the best directory theme by far.
    Thank you for your tireless efforts.

• Adam
    Adam
    Senior Member 142 points
    July 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

+100 to Mike’s suggestion above.

Our directory will include both websites (no specific address needed), but also web development agencies (which would require a specific address and one that people can get a street view of, but more importantly, also get directions via Google Maps)

Also +1000 to Mike’s other statement above:

we appreciate you listening to our suggestions to make the Responsive Directory theme to be the best directory theme by far.
    Thank you for your tireless efforts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)