What is the Queery string to show excerpts?

• Ronald
    Ronald
    Newbie 18 points
    March 17, 2015 at 12:33 am

Can someone please just show me how to add a queery string to show excerpts with my listings?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    March 17, 2015 at 4:49 am

Hello Ronald,
    Use the shortcode [EXCERPT]

• Ronald
    Ronald
    Newbie 18 points
    March 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Nope. That doesn’t do it.

Let me try to clarify, when setting up your home page you can add a listings module. That listing module applies queery strings to affect what is displayed and how.

So maybe I should ask, Is it even possible to show excerpts on your listings?
    If so, how do I do it?

Seems like there should be an easy way to show a short excerpt or at the very least a “read more” button. I don’t understand why these basic things don’t show by default.

• Ronald
    Ronald
    Newbie 18 points
    March 17, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Oh yeah. In grid mode.

I understand the spacing restrictions, but if not an excerpt, at least a button would be helpful.
    Thanks

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    March 17, 2015 at 5:17 pm

The shortcode i provided should work.Insert it in Theme Options >Page Setup >Content Pages >Search Results Layout.If having trouble inserting it send a ticket i will be happy to do it for you

• -G
    -G
    Newbie 33 points
    March 18, 2015 at 6:29 am

Hi Ronald, The [EXCERPT] shortcode Josh gave you is the right one. There shouldn’t be any reason why it won’t display. May be, if you are in a GRID view, and you are not able to see your MORE DETAIL button and excerpt, it is possible that both [BUTTON]and [EXCERPT] shortcodes are placed somewhere between <span class=’hidden_details’> and </span> among other codes located within Page Set Up> Content Page> Search Result Layout. To test if that is the problem, simply mark your spot (in case you want to paste it back in place,) and cut (remove) this code <span class=’hidden_details’> from any where among your codes located in Search Result Layout, Save the page, refresh and check in the front end.

In General, any short code or word/number you place between
    <span class=’hidden_details’> and </span> or between <div class=’hidden_details’> and </div> will not show up in GRID layout, but they do in list view. Just take any code you want to display in GRID view from between these two boundaries, and place outside of them.

To decide how how many words of the excerpts you want to display, you use
    [EXCERPT size=”100″]. That means, the first 100 words are pulled from your description and used as an excerpt. You can go on to 200, 300 etc… depending on how many words you wish to display.

I really don’t know if that is the trouble you are having, but this is my assumption. Check the attached image for visual display.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    March 18, 2015 at 6:58 am

Hi Ronald

You cannot use query strings to search for excerpts currently in WP.

The above references to the shortcodes are for displaying the excerpt not returning results with excerpts.

• Melissa
    Melissa
    Newbie 57 points
    November 4, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Is there a way for the excerpt to end with “Read More?” Currently, my excerpts just cut off–could be in the middle of a sentence or even a word. See the attached picture or visit https://indianaoriginals.com/?s=. Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
  • Mr
    Mr
    Titan 708 points
    November 5, 2015 at 2:44 am

@Melissa, you can use the more info button [BUTTON]

PetMaterial.com | Premium Plugins and Custom Theme Design

• Melissa
    Melissa
    Newbie 57 points
    November 5, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Thanks, @Mr Titan. Can you tell me where/how I do that?

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    November 5, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Hello Melissa,
    Put the code under Page Setup >Content Pages >Search Results Layout

• Melissa
    Melissa
    Newbie 57 points
    November 5, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Thanks, Josh. I put that in and the “more details” button showed up, but now that I see the results, the problem I had has not been resolved. Here is another print screen of the issue. I am trying to prevent the excerpt from just cutting off in the middle of a word or sentence.

Attachments:

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    November 5, 2015 at 3:16 pm

@Melissa Currently you can control the excerpt size using the [EXCERPT] shortcode.eg

[EXCERPT size="136"]

• Melissa
    Melissa
    Newbie 57 points
    November 5, 2015 at 7:20 pm

I see that that can control the character length, but is there a way to add a “read more” link to the end so when it cuts off a word my users will be taken to the main detail page? The excerpt is taken from the main description, correct?

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    November 6, 2015 at 2:32 pm

@Melissa Try adding the button shortcode after the excerpt shortcode ie [EXCERPT][BUTTON]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes