SIva

Website Sitemap

Hi Mark & Team, Can you please let me know how to create a sitemap for responsive coupon website, In addition to the default posts, I would also like to Include Stores & Categories in the sitemap. I don't want to include Individual coupons in the sitemap. When I tried to generate a sitemap using Google Xml Sitemaps I got My individual coupons listed in the sitemap

Created: December 14, 2013 at 6:15 pm
  • In: Coupon Theme
  • Started by: SIvaSIva
  • 4 members left 5 comments
  • Last reply from: JasperJasper

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    December 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Why don’t you want to include coupons?

Have you tried using Yoast SEO?

Kind regards,

Richard
    PremiumPress customisation services and Website Design
    Selection of PremiumPress Child Themes

• SIva
    SIva
    December 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

Richard Thanks for the Help, While I was not able to get the desired elements in the sitemap using Google XML Sitemaps Plugin.

Your suggestion to use Yoast WP Plugin worked for me thanks.

Regarding Why I would like to eliminate Individual coupons from my sitemap is I don’t want google to ping every time I post a Coupon

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    December 15, 2013 at 11:29 am

Regarding Why I would like to eliminate Individual coupons from my sitemap is I don’t want google to ping every time I post a Coupon

But that is what I don’t understand. Each time you post a new content, Google sees it as your site being active and regularly updated and Google than gives extra points to your site. The more coupons get indexed, the better for your site.

• Michael
    Michael
    December 15, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Richard,

I’m not sure about the coupons being included in the sitemap, so maybe someone can tell me if I’m wrong about this. If you have the coupons in the sitemap, then individual coupons (eventually) are indexed. In a LOT of cases, the expiration date will have passed before the coupon gets organic search traffic, so it doesn’t provide a lot of value for the user. If you, on the other hand, have the user brought to the store page, there may be another coupon that would be useful to them.

Individual coupon pages aren’t used on most of the major US sites, and I think this may be the reason. This isn’t an issue with the Theme really, but probably with any WP site of this type. I’ve used another WP coupon solution and had the same issue.

I’m doing some A/B testing with two completely different sites at the moment, too early to see which generates more conversions. Ideally, a solution to redirect expired coupons to the main store page would be great, but I don’t see how that would be possible with the store not being in the coupon slug.

Sorry for the rambling explanation, just thinking out loud, but ideas are welcome.

• Jasper
    Jasper
    January 2, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I’d like to echo Michael’s comment above. What I see with Google at the moment is that it’s picking up certain coupons and they start to rank well, but this takes time. Often, the expiration date has passed, so what I’ve done is show the other coupons for that store by using the shortcode [RELATED], in effect creating a mini store page for each coupon. And often I put a custom message above the coupon, saying it’s expired but check below for other deals from this shop.

I want the Store pages to rank ideally, rather than the coupons, but they do not rank at all at the moment. I’m currently testing some store pages with a different SEO title and description to see if they pick up more traffic.
    One thing I have noticed is that there are less options in the Yoast plugin, which I use, to optimise taxonomies (like Stores and Categories) as opposed to Coupons and pages. Does anyone know why this is?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)