Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

View custom taxonomy on new page

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    July 28, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Hi guys, i have created a custom taxonomy called “DEALS” and inside i have 2 categories “Summer Wear” and “Wine” (see screenshot).
    After making a new page for each of the categories i only want coupons from each category to load on correct page, with the most popular at top, but it just loads everything from “Deals”. Anyone know how i can do this.

Have tried [LISTINGS query=taxonomy=’wine’ orderby=hits order=desc show=10] and [LISTINGS query=taxonomy=’wine’ meta_key=hits orderby=meta_value_num order=desc show=10] but neither work, they show latest imports in “Deals” again.
    At the moment site is on localhost so i cannot provide link.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru 922 points
    July 29, 2014 at 2:46 am

You need to query the specific taxonomy term i.e: deals=wine

taxonomy=wine is incorrect, the taxonomy in your case is deals and wine would be the taxonomy term.

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    July 29, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Aaron, but i still can’t get it to work. I have tried query=taxonomy=deals&query=terms=wine, taxonomy=deals&query=terms=wine and query=taxonomy=deals terms=wine all to no avail.

• Lisette
    Lisette
    Senior Member 178 points
    July 29, 2014 at 6:23 pm

When you hover with your mouse over the word “Summer wear” what link do you see at the bottom left corner?
    e.g. …/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=coupon&tag_ID=2&post_type=coupon_type

• Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru 922 points
    July 30, 2014 at 3:29 am

Reading your post a bit better, You shouldn’t need to create a new page for this – just click view on the taxonomy term and it will give you the page url.

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    July 30, 2014 at 11:30 am

Lisette… i see the address “edit-tags.php?action=edit&taxonomy=deals&tag_ID=35&post_type=coupon_type” but i already tried that and it does not work…

Aaron..The reason for creating new pages is i have different categories in the taxonomy “Deals” and want coupons from each category on their own page and be able to sort the way i need by ‘hits’ or ‘featured’ etc. At the moment i can only show everything from the taxonomy with latest listings first instead of from the category…

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    August 3, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Anyone found solution to this… I have searched the forum and internet for days with no joy…

I found a topic by Mark http://www.premiumpress.com/forums/topic/category-query-string/

Hi Guys

Seems a few of you asking the same question so ill post it again below, the code for querying a custom category is;

terms=XXXX&taxonomy=listing

where XXXX is the ID of your category.

so i tried: [LISTINGS query=terms=308&taxonomy=Deals orderby=rand post_type=coupon_type&posts_per_page=5] but that does not work…

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,862 points
    August 3, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Did you put your code in quotes;

Query=”xxxxx”

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    August 3, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hi Mark…
    I tried: [LISTINGS query=”term”=”308″&”taxonomy”=”Deals” orderby=rand post_type=coupon_type&posts_per_page=5] and [LISTINGS query=”term=308&taxonomy=Deals” orderby=rand post_type=coupon_type&posts_per_page=5] neither works… I used single and double quotes… When i use the second one it shows 12 posts instead of 5…

• Lisette
    Lisette
    Senior Member 178 points
    August 5, 2014 at 7:49 am

Might be useless, but how about looking at a different angle to get your idea to work.

Isn’t it possible to create a simple category called “Deals” and then use subcategories. You might be able to use a shortcode such as [CATEGORIES SHOW=”123,456″ HIDE=”678,890″ COUNT=”1″]

Another possibility is using a plugin that allows displaying custom content with filter options.
    Have you tried looking on CodeCanyon?

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    August 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Hi Lisette…

Thanks for info, i tried using categories, but i use All Import to import feeds and most of the feeds have sub categories aswell which makes it even more confusing… I do use a plugin for taxonomies, i use the Taxonomies one on PP website…

• Lisette
    Lisette
    Senior Member 178 points
    August 5, 2014 at 5:28 pm

The PP plugin might not be what you need. I took a quick look and
    it doesn’t create a shortcode that can be placed inside the Content Page layout
    nor does the [CTAX key=XXXX] shortcode work inside a page/post. Other than that the plugin could’ve been useful. Sorry I can’t be of help.

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    August 6, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Lisette…

Yeah i tried CTAX key first because that is what i thought you had to do as that is what it said plugin tabs, but after searching the forum i found that was incorrect… People on the forum have made suggestions to others to try for different problems.. As im not a coder i am a bit lost as to what to do, so i gave some of them a go without any luck… I checked code canyon, but didnt know really what i was looking for… I did a search for custom taxonomies and there are a few there… Is there one that you would recommend as they are all paid plugins and i dont want to buy one that dont do what i need…

• CodersPress.com
    CodersPress.com
    Elite Member 524 points
    August 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm

[LISTINGS query=35&taxonomy=Deals orderby=rand post_type=coupon_type&posts_per_page=5]

try the above to query category 35(Summer Ware) from taxonomy (Deals) and display 5 random listings

• James
    James
    Newbie 81 points
    August 7, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Thanks M…

Unfortunately that did not work, it shows all coupons in Deal with newest first and not random… When i put “35” it shows 5 in random, but again all from Deal…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)