Liz

Urgent Help to Remove this Please :)

Dating Theme, self explanatory images attached. Version 8 (My Dating Site) In Dating theme Add Profile or Add Listing Version 8 had just the option for users to upload an image or images depending on how many images uploads were allowed as sent by the website owner in the listing package included uploads. Version 8.1 (My Dating Site) I did not notice it there was a difference in Version 8.1 as I had already tested and set this all up for my listing and or membership packages in Version 8 So I didn't think I would have to test it all over again. It was all working fine so I moved on to test other things within my site. Version 8.2 (My Dating Site after Update to 8.2) When adding more test users, members & test profiles in the updated Version 8.2 I noticed a big difference in the My account area > Create Profile Button Profile attachments where a member or customer can upload media. 3 New upload options have appeared with 4 new Tiled buttons in the style of Windows 8 desktop tiles that are all different colours Green, Blue, Orange & Red Tiles. The 3 New upload options in addition to the original add image are: Add Image ( with new Green button Tile) Add Video ( with new Blue button Tile) Add Music ( with new Orange button Tile) Add Docs ( with new Red button Tile) What I don't understand is: How to remove these New options, & Tiles, from the two different places I have shown in the attached screen shots. For member editing an existing profile and member creating New profile for the first time. Appreciate any help anybody can offer. :) @ Mark if your around, Are you able to shed some light on why these new upload options are added to the V8.2 Dating theme, I'm just curious if you had a specific reason for adding them? I can't think for the life of me why Music or Documents would be needed, If people started uploading this type of media they could use up all of the website owners web space in a matter of a week! Obviously you have a great idea for them that I have not thought about or understood yet, are you able to tell me what it is? I'd be very grateful, before I go ahead and remove them! :)

Created: June 1, 2015 at 8:15 am
  • In: Dating Theme
  • Started by: LizLiz
  • 4 members left 9 comments
  • Last reply from: LizLiz

• morne
    morne
    June 1, 2015 at 8:25 am

Hi Liz

I removed the other options with this after seeing a reply from Josh on the same issue

You can use some css to hide the other file upload options and remain with the images option this in Design Setup >Custom Meta Data >Header Styles
    <style>
    .uploadiconbox div .c2 {
    display:none
    }
    .uploadiconbox div .c3 {
    }
    .uploadiconbox div .c4 {
    }
    </style>

• Aaron
    Aaron
    June 1, 2015 at 9:49 am

Hiding these options in css isn’t actually disabling them – surely there is an option for this?

• Liz
    Liz
    June 1, 2015 at 11:22 am

Thanks for the suggestion morne, I appreciate it, 🙂
    However I need to Disable them completely (Turn them Off) as Aaron suggests. 🙂

Can anybody think of an advantageous use for uploading Music or documents in the Dating Theme? Am I missing something ?

Has anybody else noticed new surprises in version ?
    Perhaps something I have not noticed or found yet?
    Please share what you have found ….
    Any heads up if any of you have found anything new would be appreciated 🙂

• Mark
    Mark
    June 1, 2015 at 11:44 am

Can anybody think of an advantageous use for uploading Music or documents in the Dating Theme? Am I missing something ?

If you could upload your favorite songs it ‘breaks the ice’ and gives the extra edge on what people have in common (and what they can talk about). With the document upload, people can show off their poetry and writing skills by uploading their stories etc.

The reason why Mark Fail has made it into few distinct sections was due to request by users who wanted more control over what is being uploaded (and not everything mixed in one upload). Even though it might look like this is something extra and new, it was already possible to upload music, documents and videos in previous versions – now it is just made into separate sections

• Liz
    Liz
    June 1, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Excellent explanation Mark. I had no idea other things could already be uploaded other than Images. in Previous Versions
    Now I understand and it makes a bit more sense.

Thoughts on Documents and Music
    With perhaps members uploading their favourite songs which is a great idea. and valid reason to upload music, It does concern greatly by allowing members to upload Music, this would turn me into an illegal Music sharing website ! LOL would it not?

I see the advantage of uploading music, but the thought of becoming an illegal host for copyright music and potentially copyright protected eBook sharing scares the hell out of me!

Any thoughts to share about this?

However I would still like to Turn Off everything except Image uploads.
    If anybody knows how to disable or Turn it off. I urgently would like to know 🙂

• Mark
    Mark
    June 1, 2015 at 12:40 pm

It does concern greatly by allowing members to upload Music, this would turn me into an illegal Music sharing website ! LOL would it not?

Not really. If you specify in your T&Cs that it is the responsibility of the users to comply with any copyrights you should be covered. Also, even if the users upload the music, others will not be downloading it, but rather just able to listen to it.

• Liz
    Liz
    June 1, 2015 at 1:30 pm

@ Mark, Best Answer, “others would not be able to download, but just listen” Perfect solution.

Just for interest sake. not sure if you are aware! ha ha ha …. but if you can hear it you can download it by recording it 🙂 I don’t think my members will have this on their minds though, so all should be ok, with your suggestion of adding user responsibility to T&C.

Thank you Mark, I was probably stressing too much and not thinking in depth clearly.
    I appreciate your feedback, Ideas, and help.

Liz 🙂

• Mark
    Mark
    June 1, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Also don’t forget that should you get any complain regarding some content, you can then simply remove it (just like YouTube and other sites do it).

With regards to your T&Cs – get a good lawyer to write them down for you. It will cost you a bit of coin, but will cover your a** – you can even specify that should any legal actions be taken against your site, you could get the costs taken from the user causing it in the first place (or that they should talk to Clive or Mark Fail instead – LOL) 😛

• Liz
    Liz
    June 1, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Ahhh Yes……. Sweet Clive, I adore him, what a good idea ! LOL I could say poor Clive was hungry and ate the T&C page because Mark F forgot to feed him after Midnight! He heheh 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)