Uploading files more than 32 mb

WordPress Business Themes Forums Version 7 Themes DirectoryPress Uploading files more than 32 mb

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

Uploading files more than 32 mb

July 7, 2013
Narender Kumar Narender Kumar
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

Hi There,

I want to add a page to my site wherein i want to list pdfs for free download. I am trying a plugin called wp-filebase for this. The problem i am facing is that the plugin is not able to upload files more than 32mb which is the max for WP as far as I understand. I have googled around and even tried to upload through filezilla but still am not able to do so.
    Please guide me how to do it. There one file which is around 300mb in size.

Best Regards,

Narender

July 7, 2013 at 6:33 am
  • David Harris
    David Harris
    Senior Member 367 points

Narender, via ftp you should be able to do it easily. Maybe your disc quota is full :) which I doubt.

July 7, 2013 at 7:02 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

300mb…for a PDF?

Gosh thats alot of reading..couldnt you zip it or FTP it?

July 7, 2013 at 10:21 am
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

Hi,

I have tried it through FTP but i don’t see any transfer of files for files more than 32mb. Where Iam going wrong. Can you pls guide me through the right process. Iam using filezilla. I somewhere read that a plugin called add to server can do this but unfortunately Iam unable to do so. Pdfs are on my desktop.

@Mark it is an ancient scripture which someone converted into pdf . I want to offer the same through my site for free download.

Regards,

July 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

@ David,

What do you mean by disc quota full.

July 8, 2013 at 4:47 pm
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

There should be no filesize limit to upload via ftp (as ftp is not dependent on WordPress). It might be that your hosting has some limit in place so please check with your hosting provider.

July 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

Hi Richard ,

This is the reply i have received from the go daddy support.This is a bit technical for me to understand. They have not specified what is the max limit . I read somewhere that for shared hosting the max is 64mb and Iam on shared hosting.
    Can you pls specify the process to do this . I hope you are familiar with godaddy.
    What is the note in the end refers to.

To increase the upload limits, you would need to add the lines of code below to your php5.ini file.

NOTE: The location of your php.ini file can vary, depending on your operating system/control panel combination. If you are using Fedora 4 with Parallels Plesk Panel, for example, this file is in the following location: /etc/php.ini

If you are using a different operating system and/or control panel, you can find the location of your php.ini file by running the following from your command line:

php -i grep php.ini

There are two variables within your php.ini file that are responsible for managing user file uploads.

post_max_size This variable determines the maximum amount of data that PHP will accept in a single form submission using the POST method. Its default value is 8 MB, as shown below:
    post_max_size = 8M

upload_max_filesize This variable limits the size of an individual file uploaded to your site. Its default value is 2 MB, as shown below:
    upload_max_filesize = 2M

An increase in the value of these variables expands user file upload limits.

NOTE: After making changes to php.ini, you must perform an httpd restart for them to take effect. This is accomplished by running the following from your command line:

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

July 9, 2013 at 4:46 am
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team