Trying to speed up my site in Google Analytics test

• Rod
    Rod
    Newbie 6 points
    August 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

Recently I installed Google Analytics on my site and got a result of 3 areas that need improvement.

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
    Your page has 9 blocking script resources and 16 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

Optimize images
    Properly formatting and compressing images can save many bytes of data.

Leverage browser caching
    Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.

What’s the best way of going about doing this? I’ve heard good things about W3 total cache and Supercache and wanted to get you guys opinion on them. Also, what files can I safely edit to aid in the site speed up process?

• Roelf
    Roelf
    Senior Member 104 points
    August 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I have used both W3TC and Supercache. I personally prefer W3TC in combination with Cloudflare.
    As for images, you can have a look at the ‘Smush it’ plugin for WordPress by Yahoo! which will also decrease your image sizes if they are below 1MB.

For me these combined increased my site speed by about 35%.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 24, 2013 at 3:19 pm

thanks for sharing

• Narender
    Narender
    Newbie 42 points
    August 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hi Roelf, Any idea about quickcache.

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
  • Narender
    Narender
    Newbie 42 points
    August 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Thank You so much Henk.

• Roelf
    Roelf
    Senior Member 104 points
    August 24, 2013 at 6:28 pm

🙂

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    August 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm

😉

• Rod
    Rod
    Newbie 6 points
    August 26, 2013 at 4:01 am

Thanks Roelf and Hank! I’ll be trying these methods out and will report my findings.

• Rod
    Rod
    Newbie 6 points
    August 27, 2013 at 9:25 am

Ok I used the recommended combination of Smush it! and Supercache. I was able to losslessly compress all of my pictures and cache my web pages using the easy setting. There is noticeable improvement, but it seems like my slider (cyclone slider 2) makes my homepage take a brief time to fully come up (it’s usually the last thing to load.

I also assume its the reason I get the “Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
    Your page has 9 blocking script resources and 16 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page” message on Google Analytics. Would it help the loading time if I were to embed the slider directly into the themes HTML rather than using a shortcode through the Auctionpress custom slider section?

Also, how can I leverage browser caching? Can I do this through Supercache as well? Any help GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

• JOEL
    JOEL
    Newbie 18 points
    October 20, 2013 at 2:15 pm

if you are serious about speeding your page up, I love this site: https://gtmetrix.com/

gives you all kinds of info once it inspects your site and gives you ideas. SIte is priceless in my opinion.

FYI I have no affiliation with that site, it’s one of the few “website tools” i have found truly useful.

-J

• Patrice
    Patrice
    Newbie 2 points
    April 24, 2014 at 11:35 am

Thanks for the tips. Personally, I also prefer W3TC because full package that permit to perform with CDN. Google Page Speed Insight give really good clues about what to optimize and what

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    April 24, 2014 at 11:59 am

Thanks for sharing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes