Stop spam members in directory site?

WordPress Business Themes Forums Version 7 Themes DirectoryPress Stop spam members in directory site?

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

Stop spam members in directory site?

April 1, 2014
kairen kairen
  • kairen
    kairen
    Newbie 25 points

I have a site using Directorypress v7 and have so many users listed in it with no listings. Im not talking a few hundred but thousands. Looking at the emails and user names they obviously just spam hoping to get a link back. Any ideas how to get rid or to stop this? Also on the same site I get many people trying to list their site that dont fit the directory. I keep deleting but they create a new user and try again. I stopped the free listing I had hoping this would stop this but I still have loads of listings to approve. I am confused how the listings get to the ‘approve’ stage when they havent paid for the listing . ANy ideas?

April 1, 2014 at 3:39 pm
  • Malgorzata
    Malgorzata
    Super Guru 1,606 points

Awhile back I had a plugin installed:
    AVH First Defense Against Spam Plugin
    I deleted it because I was getting emails informing how many smaps it had prevented. I believe this plugin was recommended by Directory Press or even listed as an option to install.
    It is free to download from WPress. I have just install it again , even though I don’t experience that many spams as you do.
    The other one recommended here recently was ‘Honey Pot’, also free.

April 1, 2014 at 4:21 pm
  • Errol
    Errol
    Super Guru 2,708 points

There was a post here last week on the topic… http://www.premiumpress.com/forums/topic/registered-users/

Type what you’re looking for in the Search Forums above this page and see if you can find an answer or a plugin.

April 1, 2014 at 4:35 pm
  • Joe
    Joe
    Newbie 22 points

Hi kairen,

I have the same theme and the same problem. My site isn’t finished so I could just disable signups for now, but looking for a solution too!

Let you know what I try and you do the same because I’m sure we aren’t the only ones!

Joe

April 1, 2014 at 9:12 pm
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra
    Senior Member 179 points

what you can do is get 2 plugins.

WP Ban and WP Security Audit Log

what you do is in WP Security Audit Log you get the IP addresses of the SPAM members from the list and add them to the list in WP Ban.

you can add IP address ranges to block.

you will need to delete the SPAM members. these will be usernames something along the lines of “JohnSmith” or “JackBeanstalk”
    as you can see the username … there is 2 capital letters but the firstname and lastname joined together.
    plenty of them so you can use the bulk delete option to get rid of them.

April 3, 2014 at 11:46 am
  • Sebastian
    Sebastian
    Newbie 16 points

The best payed alternative i know is LINK –> CleanTalk. Its a No Captcha, no questions, no counting animals, no puzzles, no math – spam protection pure based on cloud. 8$/ year per site with bulk site discounts and a free trial of 7 days. You can download there WordPress plugin on the page. It works very good with premiumpress, because theere is no need of implementing any code or captcha code in the theme. Its just install, activate and be protected. You can also clean up your user database based on there algo’s. It find pretty much every spam user because of there ip ranges, E-mail used at registration or behaviour.

Anti-Spam features:

Stops spam comments.
    Stops spam registrations.
    Stops spam contact emails.
    Stops spam in bbPress.
    Stops spam orders.
    Stops spam bookings.
    Stops spam subscriptions.
    Stops spam surveys, polls.
    Stops spam in widgets.
    Stops spam in WooCommerce.
    Checks the existing comments for spam.
    Checks the existing users for spam.

Regards

February 28, 2017 at 11:36 pm
  • JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points

@Sebastian

Thanks for sharing!

February 28, 2017 at 11:46 pm
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team