Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

Start by adding a section or load a prebuilt layout not working

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 14, 2019 at 3:16 am

When i add a new page and click on PremiumPress Page Builder link, i see 2 options – Add Section and PreBuilt Layouts. When i click on PreBuilt Layout a spinning circle comes up and never stops spinning. If i click on Add Section, NOTHING happens. I tried this in Chrome, Firefox and IE and same thing happens.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 14, 2019 at 3:17 am

second image. wouldn’t let me add this second image when i posted.

Attachments:
  • JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    April 14, 2019 at 7:17 am

Hello tony,
    Hmmm… I can see you’re using a v8 theme

If the server is running PP theme version 8.9.6 AND PHP v7+ then it will break things.

Theme version 8.9.7 should have addressed various PHP 7 issues. If you do have this version and still have problems then more than likely new conflicts will need to be addressed.

If it’s what I’m thinking then, in simpler terms, PHP 7+ is out growing the theme v8+ code. The good news is that most of those errors like that are usually pretty minor and can be fixed quickly.

I’d recommend taking a look at your error log to see what’s breaking it.

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 15, 2019 at 1:29 am

i’m confused as to which theme i’m using as i’m using a child theme. i just installed the main theme version 9.2.6 but how does that tie into my child theme? do i have to create a new child theme using that main version? Here are a few of the errors:

[14-Apr-2019 18:47:33 America/Boise] WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1’ at line 1 for query SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1 made by require(‘wp-blog-header.php’), require_once(‘wp-includes/template-loader.php’), include(‘/themes/CT/page.php’), get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once(‘/themes/CT/footer.php’), get_template_part, locate_template, load_template, require(‘/themes/CT/sidebar-right.php’), hook_core_columns_right_top, do_action(‘hook_core_columns_right_top’), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, core_layout->hook_map_display, white_label_themes->BANNER
    [14-Apr-2019 18:47:33 America/Boise] WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1’ at line 1 for query SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1 made by require(‘wp-blog-header.php’), require_once(‘wp-includes/template-loader.php’), include(‘/themes/CT/page.php’), get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once(‘/themes/CT/footer.php’), get_template_part, locate_template, load_template, require(‘/themes/CT/sidebar-right.php’), hook_core_columns_right_bottom, do_action(‘hook_core_columns_right_bottom’), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, core_layout->hook_sidebar_bottom, white_label_themes->BANNER
    [14-Apr-2019 18:47:39 America/Boise] WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1’ at line 1 for query SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1 made by require(‘wp-blog-header.php’), require_once(‘wp-includes/template-loader.php’), include(‘/themes/CT/single.php’), get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once(‘/themes/CT/footer.php’), get_template_part, locate_template, load_template, require(‘/themes/CT/sidebar-right.php’), hook_core_columns_right_top, do_action(‘hook_core_columns_right_top’), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, core_layout->hook_map_display, white_label_themes->BANNER
    [14-Apr-2019 18:47:39 America/Boise] WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1’ at line 1 for query SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS = 1 made by require(‘wp-blog-header.php’), require_once(‘wp-includes/template-loader.php’), include(‘/themes/CT/single.php’), get_footer, locate_template, load_template, require_once(‘/themes/CT/footer.php’), get_template_part, locate_template, load_template, require(‘/themes/CT/sidebar-right.php’), hook_core_columns_right_bottom, do_action(‘hook_core_columns_right_bottom’), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, core_layout->hook_sidebar_bottom, white_label_themes->BANNER

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    April 15, 2019 at 1:49 am

Hello tony,
    The theme being displayed in your first image is the v8 dashboard of CT, not the v9 (CT9).
    You would need to select the v9 theme under Appearance > Themes. You’ll see a yellow ribbon in one of the top corners with Version 9.0.

but how does that tie into my child theme?

Sorry, I’m not following.

Note: The error message basically says the server MySQL needs to be updated in order to run that specific command.

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 15, 2019 at 2:26 am

James, the ‘current’ theme i’m using is called the “Classifieds Cars – PremiumPress Child Theme” version 1.2 by Mark Fail. It is a child theme. I have the latest version of the Main theme installed but since it’s not ‘activated’ – how is it tied to the CHILD theme? see attached.

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 15, 2019 at 2:30 am

let’s try again with the image.. and how do i update MySQL?

Attachments:
  • JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    April 15, 2019 at 2:39 am

@tony

let’s try again with the image..

The v8 theme is the one currently active. The version 9 is the theme to the far top right. When you hover over the thumbnail you’ll see the Activate button.
    Note: The v8 templates and designs will not automatically work with v9. It’s a different framework.
    I’d also recommend making a backup of your database before activating v9.

and how do i update MySQL?

Your web host provider would be the one to help you out with server software.

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 15, 2019 at 4:53 am

this may be a dumb question but i’m not an expert on child themes so here goes: if i activate the v9 theme, doesn’t that make the child theme inactive and i lose all of the customizations done on the child theme?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    April 15, 2019 at 6:23 am

@tony

this may be a dumb question but i’m not an expert on child themes so here goes: if i activate the v9 theme, doesn’t that make the child theme inactive and i lose all of the customizations done on the child theme?

First, I don’t believe any question is dumb, so you’re fine. You’ll never know unless you ask, right? 😉
    Second, yes, you are correct.

Quick basics…
    All themes installed, and that are available for use, can be found here Appearance > Themes page. Out of all of those themes on the page the only one that has an effect/impact on the site is the one active/activated.

Version 8 Child Themes were typically installed in a sub-directory within the main theme directory. To activate a Child Theme you would to go to the Theme Setup > Page Setup > Current Design setting and select it from a dropdown (see image).
    04.15.2019-00.06.22

With version 9 the Child Themes are installed as a regular theme and listed on the Appearance > Themes page.

Both, version 8 and 9 child themes, serve the same “general” purpose, but they are still different in many respects and not immediately compatible (manual changes would be required).

I know, the terminology can be confusing and frustrating.

Please let me know it doesn’t make sense or if I should elaborate more on anything.
    Hope it answers your question.

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 15, 2019 at 8:50 am

Thank you, that makes sense. So if I upgrade to the version 9 of the software I basically have to start over with my design, is that correct? Also I found out I’m using the latest version of MySQL and I still can’t get the premiumpress page builder to work. I also tried moving back to php7.1 but it still didn’t work.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    April 15, 2019 at 8:24 pm

@tony

So if I upgrade to the version 9 of the software I basically have to start over with my design, is that correct?

Yes, you are correct.

Also I found out I’m using the latest version of MySQL and I still can’t get the premiumpress page builder to work. I also tried moving back to php7.1 but it still didn’t work.

Hard to say then without going over everything. I haven’t seen anything within the theme code that would cause this. Was anything removed from the errors above before posting?

I’m curious, does the problem still exist if Banners/Advertisement is turned off or if all non-PP plugins are turned off?

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 15, 2019 at 9:58 pm

if i upgrade, i’m assuming i don’t lose any of our listings? and do the URL’s stay consistent with the new version or will i have to do a mapping of old URL’s to new URL’s?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    April 15, 2019 at 10:29 pm

if i upgrade, i’m assuming i don’t lose any of our listings?

You shouldn’t lose any listing.

and do the URL’s stay consistent with the new version or will i have to do a mapping of old URL’s to new URL’s?

They should, you may need to go to Settings > Permalinnks and reset them.

I’d recommend making a backup of your database and wordpress directory before doing it (to be safe).
    If you would like I can try to get a better insight without your sites current DB data if you’re able to zip up all of the WP and theme files being used on the site (minus the wp-config.php file, but all the others).

• tony
    tony
    Newbie 50 points
    April 15, 2019 at 10:30 pm

where would i send those files??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)