Social Icon Buttons

• Denise
    Denise
    Newbie 43 points
    August 6, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Is it possible to have social icons for each listing specific their social link instead of seeing ‘Visit Link Here’, for DP Responsive.

• Adam
    Adam
    Senior Member 142 points
    August 6, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Hi Denise,

How do you mean?

I have created several custom fields…one for Twitter, Facebook, etc. When a user fills these out with their listing the “Visit Linkn Here” link takes users to their own social pages.

• Denise
    Denise
    Newbie 43 points
    August 6, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I would like to use buttons/logos instead of the words, Visit Link Here.

• Adam
    Adam
    Senior Member 142 points
    August 6, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ah ok, I understand now. I don’t know how to do it off hand, but perhaps just putting an img src link in the language translation settings will work?

I’ll try that and report back in a few minutes…

• Adam
    Adam
    Senior Member 142 points
    August 7, 2013 at 12:00 am

Ok, it works…but it won’t really work.

Go to General Setup–>Language–>Listing Page Translation.

This is where you change the text for these fields. So instead of entering text there, I entered a an image link like this:

This worked and displayed an image, HOWEVER, it displays the same image for each custom field. So the bottom line is that this won’t work to do what you need.

I am agreed that this would be a nice feature to have. You should put it on the idea board at https://ideas.premiumpress.com

I would term this as “attach custom icon to custom fields”.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 7, 2013 at 12:46 am

I have done something like this on few sites before (even though not on the responsive themes). I will look if I could make it into a plugin. 🙂

• Adam
    Adam
    Senior Member 142 points
    August 7, 2013 at 12:54 am

That would be a welcome plugin Richard:)

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 7, 2013 at 1:34 am

🙂

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 7, 2013 at 1:28 pm

For now I have created a very simple plugin that adds the social icons before the link (see the attached images). All you have to do is to use the custom fields keys as ‘facebook’, ‘twitter’, ‘google’, ‘linkedin’ and ‘pinterest’. If you require more advanced display, please let me know exactly how would you like it to look and I can try to make something.

Kind regards,

Richard

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Adam
    Adam
    Senior Member 142 points
    August 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Looks great Richard, nice work and thanks for sharing:)

Here comes the user feedback;)…

Rather than these being dependent on the custom field db keys, it would be nice to be able to select an icon regardless of the db key name. The reason being is that some folks may have reasoning to name their db keys differently (as in my case for naming them “facebook_url”, “twitter_url”, etc. Just trying to future proof.

Would also be nice to have a selection of icon size (16px, 24px, 48px)

Would love the ability to upload custom icons as well. The use case would be if someone wants to use a different style of social icon of their choosing to match the niche of their site.

Also if someone has a custom field that is not related to social, they could upload their own icon.

As an example, we’re building a directory of WordPress users and that includes plugin devs. We could have a custom field of “My Plugins” with a db key of “my_plugins” in order for people to link to their WordPress repo page or their own plugin ecommerce site, and then use an icon like in the image attachment below next to that link.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Denise
    Denise
    Newbie 43 points
    August 7, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Richard, but how does it work? What happens when I install it?

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 7, 2013 at 4:48 pm

As I said it’s very simple at the moment. Look at the images I posted earlier. It adds icons to the links. I will make a premium plugin with more options.

• Jack
    Jack
    Newbie 38 points
    September 27, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Hey adam,

Hi Denise,

How do you mean?

I have created several custom fields…one for Twitter, Facebook, etc. When a user fills these out with their listing the “Visit Linkn Here” link takes users to their own social pages.

I don’t have a lot of programming experience but I can get by. How would I do this for my site?

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    September 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Just look my earlier post where it is explained.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Jack
    Jack
    Newbie 38 points
    September 27, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I am referring to the addition of the listing owners Facebook page on their listing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes