Recommendations on Upgrade path for Directoy Press 6.3 to Latest update

• Mario
    Mario
    Senior Member 96 points
    September 28, 2015 at 10:25 pm

We are about to upgrade to the latest directory theme and WordPress

Currently we have WordPress 3.8.x and Directory press 6.3

What do you recommend the path to get to the latest and do any of you know some hiccups to look out for as I go through it.

I do have a place to test my upgrade but I was wondering how has everyone’s experience been with this. We have some active listings and we have customized some of the pages. Nothing major because it looks like the new theme actually has the customization we did.

Any advice out there? Do I upgrade wordpress then the theme or vice versa? Do I step the Directory press to various versions or can I go directly into the new one. I know my layout I will have to rebuilt but how about the listings and the database schema for those listings… was wondering if I would have issues with that?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

• Richard
    Richard
    Super Guru 968 points
    September 29, 2015 at 4:05 am

@Mario

As I understand it, its not an ‘upgrade’ its a complete new install version.

Before you do anything; open a ticket and verify with them first!

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    September 29, 2015 at 9:04 am

Mario, just to clarify – you are on Directorypress 6.3 (as opposed to Responsive Directory Theme 6.3) and you want to upgrade to latest version of Responsive Directory Theme?

If this is the case you are wanting to move to a completely different product which must be purchased – there should be discount code in your Members Area.

If you clarify the above it will make it easier for people to advise you further.

• D
    D
    Senior Member 139 points
    October 1, 2015 at 1:38 am

I’m running an old version 6.? also and it desperately needs to be updated.

After crashing my test site and having to do a total reload I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade and if so, who I can pay to do it.

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    October 1, 2015 at 8:12 am

D, if you want me to take a look and let you know what I think you can contact me on tempemail@planitgolf.co.uk.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    October 1, 2015 at 9:36 am

I suggest holding off a migration until iv resolved the issues with 8.6 which wont be too long, then i can take a look at your site for you.

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    October 1, 2015 at 10:17 am

Agree, I would definitely not recommend anyone migrate until we have a stable current version – was just offering to look at the site and see what we were up against in terms of data to be migrated.

• Mario
    Mario
    Senior Member 96 points
    October 10, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Hi everyone, I was out of town and finally got back to look at this. I apologize for the delays and thank you for the responses.

@Mark Fail: So you recommend waiting until 8.7 to upgrade? the Website is Journey Of Possibilities. I do not mind doing a testing platform because that’s actually what I was planning on doing anyway.

@Janak, I already have the new version. I just need to know what issues I will have to look out for. The Website is http://www.journeyofpossibilities.com I have a test site i can work with also.

This is what our site has. A little change on the way blogs are shown(just removed the graphic before the post), a custom header graphic, We have some listings with some attachments and a few plug ins to do podcasts. Does that help? Is there an ETA on 8.7 release?

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

• Mario
    Mario
    Senior Member 96 points
    November 3, 2015 at 12:10 am

Any update on this?

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    November 3, 2015 at 6:37 am

iv got your ticket, will reply.

• Mario
    Mario
    Senior Member 96 points
    November 19, 2015 at 3:37 am

OK Just keeping everyone updated so I am not the only one here.

I upgrade WordPress 3.8.11 TO WordPress 4.3.1 wind REsponsive Theme 6.3 and I did not have any glitches. I did verify All my Plugins were compatible and did a test bed before upgrade on production.

Now A question… If I create a Child Theme using Directory Theme 8.8 can I do that in my test bed and download the child theme and upload it to my production and will that carry over all the graphics with it that I change or only the CSS changes?

Mark, Thank you for your email.

• D
    D
    Senior Member 139 points
    November 20, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Thanks for the update Mario.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes