RE Child Theme

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 8:17 am

Hi

So I have created a child theme and I now want to update without loosing any customisation.

Do I update the child or the parent theme?

Thank you.

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    September 29, 2015 at 9:08 am

Andrew, what version are you currently running and what version are you updating to?

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 9:16 am

Sorry im having a job finding where to update and the current version?

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    September 29, 2015 at 9:30 am

You can find current version by going into Admin, eg. General Settings – it should say at the top.

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 10:13 am

ok thanks it v7.0

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    September 29, 2015 at 10:33 am

Ok, so it’s the old Classifieds theme? I assume you bought this a long time ago?

When you say you want to update do you mean update the theme to the new Classifieds theme?

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 10:37 am

Yes I want to update to the latest version so I can get the feedback option on each ad to work.

When I go to updates though it says “Your themes are all up to date”

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    September 29, 2015 at 10:52 am

It sounds like you are on old Classifieds Theme – as opposed to Responsive Classifieds Theme which is a different product. Can you verify you are on the old product?

If this is the case you are wanting to move to a completely different product which must be purchased – there should be discount code in your Members Area.

If you move to the Responsive Theme your existing child theme will be irrelevant as you’ll need to redevelop using the new theme.

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 11:12 am

No I am on Responsive Classifieds

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    September 29, 2015 at 11:34 am

That makes things easier then. It was the version 7 that made me think it was the old theme – as far as I knew the responsive themes went from version 6.x.x to version 8.x.x.

The latest versions (8.6) have changed a lot so it is extremely unlikely your child theme will work fully – at the very least it will need some amendments and it may be easier to redo your child theme. I’m in the same boat with a BT 6.6.7.
    It is the parent theme that you have to update but at the moment 8.6 is for NEW INSTALLS ONLY so if you update now you’ll have to revedelop everything from scratch.
    I’d wait for now as version 8.7 is coming out shortly which will fix some bugs that exist in 8.6 and after that Mark F is supposed to be releasing an auto-updater to allow us to update from older versions. See:
    https://www.premiumpress.com/blog/premiumpress-framework-update-8-48-5/

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 11:50 am

Ok thanks for that so why is it saying no updates available on mine?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    September 29, 2015 at 1:11 pm

@Andrew upgrading from you your current version will completely change your Theme Design,so many changes have been made tothe design

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 5:28 pm

OK but let say I wanted to do it anyway how would I update?

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    September 29, 2015 at 5:44 pm

The latest version is for new installs only (at the moment) so you can’t update at the moment – you’d have to build a new system and then somehow move your data over.

• Andrew
    Andrew
    Senior Member 127 points
    September 29, 2015 at 5:59 pm

So there is no way to find the feedback fault? Thats all I want, if you leave feedback it just goes to a blank page.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes