protected search

• robert
    robert
    Newbie 11 points
    August 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I’d like to display some sample listings on the hompage but have the search feature and search listing results on a password protected page or members page. Don’t see how to do this. Any help?

• Ken
    Ken
    Newbie 42 points
    August 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Robert I am looking to do the same thing on the classifieds theme. If you figure this out please come back to let us know.

• robert
    robert
    Newbie 11 points
    August 8, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Ken,
    Unfortunately I don’t have hours to try to figure out something I don’t even know is possible. I suspect someone does…

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 8, 2013 at 7:14 pm

You might try the S2Member plugin: https://www.s2member.com/framework/

Kind regards,

Richard

• robert
    robert
    Newbie 11 points
    August 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Thanks Richard but not quite. Imagine, if you will, you needed a Doctor who had a specialty in removing the denseness that comes to folks who try to build webpages with no advanced training. You needed a Doctor in NY, was licensed in CWD, (Cognitive Website Denseness), had hours on Mondays and Tues and preferred that they read Sci Fi in their free time. You Google and find a site that lists Doctors of all types. The home page has all kinds of information, free articles, resources etc but to access the database of Doctor you have to become a member. OK no problem, you become a member and it gives you access to a search page where you can search for diffeent types of Doctors in any given area. You put in “NY” and “CWD” and a listing of Doctors come up with their credentials, a picture of themselves, contact info, a statement about their practice.

Now as some one with with CWD, I purchased Directory Press thinking that this was the template that would create this kind of site. The main feature being, having Doctors register their information into searchable database that when selected, come up on a presentable format. There seems to be some of this capability ion DP, but trying to customize seems to lose some of the functionality. Unfortunately I also suffer for Codaphobia, so if it requires writing code, short or tall, forgetaboutit. Perhaps this is just the wrong template but I know templates like these exist. PLease help. Thanks.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I believ that the Responsive Directory Theme has much better control over what members and non members can see.
    Can anyone confirm it?

• robert
    robert
    Newbie 11 points
    August 11, 2013 at 9:32 pm

The Responsive theme certainly is more user friendly. Not sure why the other isn’t, nonetheless, it seems that the main feature I want – searching a database for a listing- to be a member’s feature (paid) and therefore password protected access is only available on the Home Page and as a public feature.

Please let me know if this can be done or not through this template. I don’t want to be wasting anybody’s time trying to create something that is not possible or only with advanced coding. I just assume eat the cost and move on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes