PHP check issues in setup

• Garrett
    Garrett
    Newbie 3 points
    August 24, 2013 at 7:59 am

Hi,

So I setup the directory (4.3) and looking under PHP check I see a couple of things for me that are not turned on:

Video thumbnail services – ffmpeg
    Register Globals
    Max Execution Time is set to 30

Register Globals is set OFF according to my host settings. I sent a ticket to my hosting to confirm this.

Using Hostgator and according to their terms for my hosting I am unable to change these other two settings unless I have a VPS or dedicated server.

Will the theme still function just fine without the ffmpeg enabled and the execution time set at 30? Or do I need to upgrade hosting to keep things working right?

Thank you.

• David Harris
    David Harris
    Senior Member 366 points
    August 24, 2013 at 9:11 am

Shared hosters do restrict some things also they can’t give you APC which is a must and saves you using all sorts of plugins to compensate that cause problems at times.

My lowedend linux servers are maxed for php performance and meet all requirements and then some.

The script execution time you have is default and will usually do with WordPress related sites but try magento etc and you will have time out issues, I usually set it to 100 > 300 depending on the clients needs.

David Harris
    —————-

david@www.premiumpress.com

http://www.premiumpress.com
    Dynamic PHP website hosting & Development.
    Dedicated Linux servers from 15€uro a month.
    Demo Lowend server http://www.nofool.eu

http://www.spskins.com
    Eye candy for your ShopperPress site.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

Your theme will function normally, those options are more optional thus the reaosn they only show up after theme installl.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 24, 2013 at 9:47 am

If you are going to do any sort of exports or imports, then even having Max Execution Time set to 300 may not be enough.
    It all depends on what will the traffic/usage of your site be. I have some sites that struggle even on a high end VPS server and other sites that work very well on shared hosting.
    Having the right hosting is the foundation of functional and trouble free website.

Kind regards,

Richard

• David Harris
    David Harris
    Senior Member 366 points
    August 24, 2013 at 10:10 am

That’s why dedicateds are great, set things up as you like with no shared or even vps hosting restrictions, Gimme true root everytime. 😎

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm

πŸ™‚

• Garrett
    Garrett
    Newbie 3 points
    August 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks all. πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes