Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

PageSpeed Issues – Scalling of Images

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:00 am

Hello all,

I wrote a post about this just before the forum crash :(

I will try my best to explain again :)

I have a few directories that are now getting popular, and pagespeed is now playing its part.

Google Adsence reported some of my pages were slow, and I have managed to fix most issues, and signup for Google’s PageSpeed service.

But the scaling of images still needs to be resolved.

Basically I have image attachments, some listings can have 5-10 (up-to 20 max)
    These images are large-ish about 1200px x 900px for example.
    On the listing page it shows the thumbnails of the images, and when a user clicks on them they can view the image.
    (I manually disabled the nice looking light-box on one of my directories, due to users on iPhone not being able to pan the image in light-box)

Anyways…

I would like the attachment thumbnails to be small images (not the original images scaled down), and only load the large/original image when clicked.

I am wondering if I have setup wrong at some point, or doing something wrong…

Any help from the community is greatly appreciated!

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,820 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

This is something i addressed in the new directory theme and a reason why the new framework is so fast. Not only is the framework more optimized it uses the standard thumbnails for WP so instead of loading a 1200×800 picture it will load the smaller 200px one instead which speeds up a site alot.

There isnt much i can do with the directorypress theme at this time since the media upload is different and there is only one image stored.

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:28 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying!

You say it has been addressed?

I have latest stable theme 7.1.3 and latest WP.

If I manually upgrade to 7.1.4 will that resolve my issues?

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,820 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

7.X is directorypress, this has been addressed in the new responsive themes only im afraid.

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

OK just noticed you have created a new responsive theme.

I have not been here for a while, need to do some reading to catch up :)

I noticed the plugin for data transfer, is this for post content only?

Will my images be OK when transferring to new theme?

Also just tested the Video response theme on iPhone5 (Chrome), and still very buggy i’m afraid to report.

But responsive directory seems good, and a lot better now caters for all devices!

Kudos and thumbs up! :)

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Lee hi, your issue is exactly why I asked about storing/streaming my site media from AmazonS3 instead of the local server. Also one can possibly use some image-crunching software in between. Unfortunately nobody could help me and I didn’t/don’t have the time figure it out right now. I’ll get to it when I run into speed issues of my own … but you may want to investigate doing that. (And then tell me how to do it once you have it sorted … LOL!) Good luck!

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:50 am

Also where do I get the responsive themes?

Can not see in the downloads section, gonna try and upgrade my coupon site first.

Then will upgrade directories after I have had a play around.

My directories are important, as get good daily traffic, and is a popular site :)

But is desperately needing faster site, and responsive (can’t wait)

Looking forward :)

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hi Henk,

Thanks for the reply,

I have subscribed to Google’s page speed service, and am happy to buy a dedicated server or AmasonS3, but would like to get site working as fast as it can first.

Then will see a better benefit of upgrading server, or pay for fast cloud storage.

It the moment while there is issues, I don’t see the point of fixing a symptom, when fixing the issues is more important.

It looks like Mark is on it with this new theme tho :)

So that makes me happy :)

If I get any page speed solutions, I will happily share info with community :)

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:03 am

Yes the new Responsive theme is without doubt faster. I noticed that already in my setup phase even. And its responsive and more “modern” looking. Very nice.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,820 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

in the old setup only a single copy of the image was created, where as WP would normally create multiple (thumbnails etc)

you can transfer content to the new framework but the link will still be the same, its only newly added images that would then be compressed.

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:08 am

I will try out the responsive as soon as can download it lol

It is not in my downloads section :(

Am looking forward to testing it out on my coupon site first, but is desperately needed for my directory as think am loosing traffic due to page speed :(

But my site is popular, and will recover once sorted :)

Not looking forward to the work I may have to do to upgrade it tho!

I have about 2k listings, and many images, and many customizations to make it unique to my niche

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thanks Mark,

I understand… Once using new framework… If i re-upload the image for an older post, will that resolve it for that post?

I best stop my workers posting any more… until I have upgraded!!!

Also can you please give me access to the new themes, as it is not in my downloads :)

Thank you!

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:17 am

Have you tried EWWW Image Optimizer plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/ewww-image-optimizer/ )?

Kind regards,

Richard

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

Thank you Richard for the suggestion, but if this new responsive theme optimizes the images, I would prefer to move forward with that, instead of installing a plugin.

But thanks again :)

All suggestions are useful, and maybe another user reading this post will have a need for it! :)

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    July 24, 2013 at 11:26 am

Thanks for the tip Richard!

Lee, if you DO implement EWWW Image Optimizer on your site would you mind reporting back on results? I’d be keen to know if/how-well it works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)