Not showing in searches

WordPress Business Themes Forums Version 7 Themes DirectoryPress Not showing in searches

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

Not showing in searches

July 31, 2013
Adrian Adrian
  • Adrian
    Adrian
    Newbie 20 points

I have been monitoring stats over the past few weeks and wondering why I am not getting many referrals from search engines.
    I have gone to google and put my domain in, it came up.
    I then put my domain with the title of one of the listings, this showed nothing, and repeated this several times with random listings, none of these showed up.
    Is there something I should have ticked here to show up in searches? I am concerned that if I don’t show up in searches when searching by listing title, I wont be found.

July 31, 2013 at 1:08 pm
  • Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points

Adrian,
    I am guessing you are new to publishing websites.

I am not sure how old your site is but Google has indexed your home page and has yet to update their index to include other pages on your site.

This is the realm of SEO techniques that include on page content, seo plugins like yoast, external link building, usage of a xml site map, submission of site map using google webmaster tools and analytics, etc,

All kind of out of the context for Mark and his team here.

Best current content, both free and paid that i have seen recently on SEO is from Alex Becker at Sourcewave.

Mike

July 31, 2013 at 2:33 pm
  • Adrian
    Adrian
    Newbie 20 points

Hi Mike
    I have been publishing websites for a good few years now and understanding about indexing etc but my site and its listings have been up for a while now so thought it would have all been indexed up by now.
    The majority of listings are just basic listings detailing business name, address and phone number but if i search google for my domain and then the business name, on several attempts, i don’t get results.

July 31, 2013 at 3:10 pm
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

Adrian, do you use any SEO plugin (like Yoast)? Do you use any sitemap plugin? Is your site registered in Google Webmasters Tools? What are you doing to promote your site online? What traffic do you get daily/weekly/monthly? What is the source of the traffic? How often do you create a new content?

You can have a website that is many years old, but that does not guarantee being included in search engine indexes. You need to take some steps to ‘inform’ search engines about the pages your site have. You have to put some effort and take some steps to get ‘better chance’ of having your content listed (I have used the words ‘better chance’ on purpose, as there is no guarantee).

Kind regards,

Richard

August 1, 2013 at 1:24 am
  • Adrian
    Adrian
    Newbie 20 points

Hi Richard
    I didn’t see much use in using SEO plugins because I dont have much content on my website, it is just for the listings themselves and the listings just consist of business name, address and phone number until claimed and upgraded. The business name and address is not something that can be changed to use better keywords etc etc so thought a SEO plugin may not have much use on this type of site.

I also didnt see the use in a sitemap plugin because the only pages I have is home, register, login and listings.

I thought my site was registered on google webmaster tools but that was a previous domain so have now registered this.
    Looking at search queries, it gave one term that has been searched for stating this came in position 6-10, i tried this myself and there i was in position 8.

August 1, 2013 at 9:14 am
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

I didn’t see much use in using SEO plugins because I dont have much content on my website, it is just for the listings themselves and the listings just consist of business name, address and phone number until claimed and upgraded.

If you don’t have much of the content, how do you expect the listing pages to be ‘attractive’ to search engines?

The business name and address is not something that can be changed to use better keywords etc etc so thought a SEO plugin may not have much use on this type of site.

That is incorrect, as the SEO plugins don’t change the content of your site, but rather include things such as META tags and optimisation of the existing content.

I also didnt see the use in a sitemap plugin because the only pages I have is home, register, login and listings.

Yes, but its the listings that you want to be found and thus the need to ‘notify’ the search engines about them with the use of sitemap.

People are spending tens of thousands dollars every month on their SEO to be found on the search engines so how do you expect to compete without doing any work at all?
    In order to be found you have to do online and offline marketing.

No website will generate traffic / income on ‘autopilot’!!!

August 1, 2013 at 10:32 am
  • Adrian
    Adrian
    Newbie 20 points

OK So ive installed Yoast and also installed google xml sitemap which has generated and fed in to google.

August 1, 2013 at 11:57 am

• Becca
    Newbie 40 points

I’m curious about this as well. I have tried Yoast and Google sitemap. What is interesting is no matter which setting the listing pages themselves do not show in the sitemap only categories, static pages, author pages but no pages from within the listing manager. Anyone else run into this? If so, how did you solve it?

September 9, 2017 at 5:06 pm
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team