Not all colors can be changed in style.css

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Not all colors can be changed in style.css

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

Not all colors can be changed in style.css

August 7, 2014
glendon glendon
  • glendon
    glendon
    Newbie 47 points

I have a question for the masters of all things WordPress.

Say I want to style my header’s search box colors… simple, just go into “design setup” or style.css and it’s easy to find an option to change the border & icon color… but, changing the color or font for the word “search” is nowhere to be found in style.css(or design setup).

furthermore, I’ve successfully found(and changed) almost all background or content area colors easily enough… but, there’s this one white background I couldn’t find to save my life… at least not in style.css.

What am I missing? Is there another file similar to style.css that contains the other color codes etc? Stuff that can’t be found in style.css but can still be edited to make minor changes like color?

I’ve gone through style.css a million times and changed every color listed. There are still areas of my site that haven’t been touched because their css doesn’t appear to be in the style.css file.

I’ve tried getting CSSUpdater, Dreamweaver, and Topstyle to work… but I can’t figure out how to keep the changes I’ve made in them. So, I’m stuck living with the unwanted colors, or figuring out how to FIND them in the editor so they can be altered.

PS – I’m actually using the responsive auction theme but it isn’t showing in the dropdown box below.

August 7, 2014 at 5:38 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

All elements can be customized, you simply need to find the right CSS tag to latch onto.

whats your site link?

August 8, 2014 at 2:10 am
  • glendon
    glendon
    Newbie 47 points
    August 8, 2014 at 6:45 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

the search box CSS is;

.header_style4 .wlt_searchbox

looks like you’ve done it but you entered invalid CSS;

.header_style4 .wlt_searchbox input, .wlt_searchbox input {
    background: 000000;
    opacity: 0.7;
    border: 3px solid #6fe224;
    }

should be

.header_style4 .wlt_searchbox input, .wlt_searchbox input {
    background: #000000;
    opacity: 0.7;
    border: 3px solid #6fe224;
    }

August 8, 2014 at 8:40 am
  • Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru 922 points

You would also be better off creating a child theme and editing the css in that instead – it over-rides by default.

August 8, 2014 at 10:49 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

as above or if your only adding minor changes, the admin -> design setup -> custom cSS is also fine.

August 8, 2014 at 10:54 am
    This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.
  • glendon
    glendon
    Newbie 47 points

thank you :)

August 10, 2014 at 12:51 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

:)

August 10, 2014 at 11:23 am
  • glendon
    glendon
    Newbie 47 points

Guys, I’ve been trying for days to figure this out, I can’t find the css for it anywhere.

http://www.bidtrigger.com/sell-now/

I have these white backgrounds that I can’t change to black when submitting a listing. I have text entry fields that are white, they’re fine, it’s the background surrounding the entry fields that needs to be black.

I’d also like to change the faded blue highlight to a different color.

Please help. I’m completely stumped.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 17, 2014 at 1:55 am
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team