No options to hide expired coupons in v8.4 ?

• Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    Super Guru 1,710 points
    August 11, 2015 at 1:40 pm

No options to hide expired coupons ?? ❓

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    August 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I don’t believe so.

• JD
    JD
    Newbie 47 points
    August 11, 2015 at 6:45 pm

That’s an important feature….

• Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    Super Guru 1,710 points
    August 11, 2015 at 6:55 pm

But that is reality @Clive, no option to disable expired coupons.

Yes, it is very important features.

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    August 11, 2015 at 7:04 pm

That’s an important feature….

No it’s not.

If a search engine indexes a load of posts and they are suddenly removed/hidden on a regular basis, you will:

1. Most likely get a search engine penalty, as Google et al will think you are trying some dodgy Black Hat stuff, and/or
    2. Lose valuable SEO traffic/link juice for the coupons (i.e. posts) you’ve removed/hidden.

If you do delete large quantities of posts regularly, I’m almost certain your site is not ranking well nor making the money it could do.

Simples, really 🙂

• Mark
    Mark
    Titan 733 points
    August 11, 2015 at 10:33 pm

As Clive is correctly saying, why would you want to hide/delete expired coupons? Simply ‘mark’ them as ‘EXPIRED’. That is all. Keeping expired coupon pages up gives many benefits and not just from the SEO perspective, but also for users.

• Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru 920 points
    August 11, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Have to disagree somewhat as its about the overall user experience after all – also a major seo factor.

With a coupon site a store page will end up being the canonical page – regardless if you set this up or not. Individual posts will be seen as duplicate content and if one is expired, this will also incur a drop in rankings due to bounce rate.

There are a few methods when it comes to handling expired content but keeping an old coupon in single post form can do more bad than good – its also against some affiliate networks TOS.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 12, 2015 at 12:28 am

There is no need for the button no, if you enabled the “hide expired” option all expired coupons are hidden from searches.

• Mark
    Mark
    Titan 733 points
    August 12, 2015 at 12:50 am

@Aaron, what are your statements based on?

There are lots of myths and misconceptions with regards to SEO practices going on among people and using ‘one box fits all’ rule is very dangerous here. In order to establish the best way forward on any site would require us to first see few months of analytical data, do A/B testing and much more.

• Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru 920 points
    August 12, 2015 at 1:26 am

In order to establish the best way forward on any site would require us to first see few months of analytical data, do A/B testing and much more.

Have a few years of analytical data on this one though its probably easier to explain it using retailmenot as an example – it is the worlds biggest coupon site after all.

A store page on RTN: https://www.retailmenot.com/view/oldnavy.com

Notice each coupon is not a single post – Individual deals are not indexed or even made available as a separate entity i.e https://www.google.com.au/search?q=retailmenot+Old+Navy+Coupon+Codes

Expired/unpopular deals are moved down the page and eventually deleted. As the store page is the canonical page, expired content has no bearing on rankings.

If a landing page is a single expired coupon you can see how keeping this would adversly affect your users experience – its also against many affiliate networks TOS.

• Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    Super Guru 1,710 points
    August 16, 2015 at 9:31 am

There is no need for the button no, if you enabled the “hide expired” option all expired coupons are hidden from searches.

Hey @Mark Fail, I was not asking for any buttons. I just need that option to hide expired and I got that. BUT expired coupons are showing even after turning it ON

??

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    August 16, 2015 at 10:27 am

Hemanta, have you tried deactivating all your other plugins?

• Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    Super Guru 1,710 points
    August 16, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Yes, @Clive. I’m running the theme as a test, and no plugin is installed yet.

• Stephen
    Stephen
    Newbie 32 points
    August 16, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Hemanta, I went through 8.4 and there still is a lot fine tuning needed before it goes out. I am sure most of our issues will be address when it is ready for the masses to replace 8.3.
    The layout looks great and I am looking forward to using it when it is ready.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 17, 2015 at 2:59 am

@Hemanta Chakladar send a ticket and ill check.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes