No footer widget space?

• Matthew
    Matthew
    Senior Member 218 points
    June 24, 2018 at 11:09 pm

There doesn’t seem to be any widget space for the footer…

Am I experiencing a bug unique to me, or was there simply none added to the theme?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Marie
    Marie
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    June 25, 2018 at 4:17 am

hi matt,

are you using version 9?

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    June 25, 2018 at 5:31 am

Version 9 default theme does not have footer widgets, it has a menu placeholder and thats it. Child theme designs will have their own widget space dependant of the core theme since all designs will be different going forward.

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    June 26, 2018 at 6:47 am

@Mark, is there a reason why we can’t have footer widgets in the default theme? I usually use the default theme and do my own child theme and really need to be able to put content in the footer. I really think this is needed.

What will happen to my footers when I come to migrate my 8.9.6 system to version 9?

• Matthew
    Matthew
    Senior Member 218 points
    June 26, 2018 at 10:23 am

Yeah exactly…

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    June 27, 2018 at 9:04 am

Hi

I am working on new design concepts thus a widget footer will not be as useful since everything can be customised in real time using the editor.

Design Features Preview in Version 9.1.6

• cat
    cat
    Senior Member 151 points
    February 16, 2020 at 11:12 am

If these themes are wordpress and supposedly FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE why do they NOT have widgets? ANd why are they not FULLY cusomizable.
    I dont like any of these footers, and I dont want to use any of these footers.
    Where is this theme designers thats deciding what we want and what we should have in our websites?
    I WANT widgets. And I want to choose the widgets.
    And I shouldnt have to go into hours of customisation just to add a widget or footer content.
    Rediculous

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    February 16, 2020 at 11:26 am

Why the capitals? If you have a question or need some help, please ask nicely – no need to be rude.

If you don’t like the default layout you can use Elementor and completely build your own own

Why not use the Elementor option and build your own footer?

You can then assign it as your new footer the admin under the desing setup -> page linking option.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    February 16, 2020 at 3:20 pm

Hi Catherine

Iv gone ahead and added footer widgets into the 9.4.3 update for you – hope this helps.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    February 16, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Here is a video tutorial also;

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes