Need some help with setting up advanced search (similar to responsive demo)

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Need some help with setting up advanced search (similar to responsive demo)

Need some help with setting up advanced search (similar to responsive demo)

July 19, 2013
Rob Rob
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Hi,

I can’t seem to be able to figure out how to setup my categories and / or taxonomies in order to create an advanced search very similar to the one in the new responsive demo (http://dp.wlthemes.com/).

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out by pointing me in the right direction here.

Ok, here goes. This is what I’m trying to do:

Advanced search with these variables:
    – State
    – Jobtype
    – Sub-Jobtype (contents depends on jobtype)
    – Workseason (choose month(s) when there’s a job)
    – Zip/Postal Code (same as demosite)
    – Search within radius (same as demosite)

I’ve tried to copy the way it’s setup in the responsive demo but my installation doesn’t have the same Search fields available. So that didn’t workout..

Would appreciate any help a lot! Thanks,

Robert

July 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm
  • Fernando
    Fernando
    Newbie 55 points

Did you look under General Setup -> Advanced Search ?

There are some buttons at bottom, you should create your own fields.

Hope it helps.

July 19, 2013 at 7:59 pm
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Hi Fernando,

thanks for your input. Did look there and tried to duplicate there the example of the demo-responsive site that I found when I logged in to the demo admin.

That didn’t work for a number of reasons:
    1) In a default install the seachfields used in the demo aren’t the same
    2) I’m not sure when to use a category and when to use taxonomy

July 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

Hi

The category you will be searching is the ‘listing category’ not the blog one.

The other fields are just searching the ‘custom fields’. Ill try create a video tutorial today so you have a better idea of how to use it.

July 19, 2013 at 11:50 pm
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Hi Mark,

that would be the best thing I could’ve hoped for! As a newbie to Directorypress the way to setup the information I’d like to incorporate in my listings is a bit daunting. Especially if it’s a bit different from the democontent supplied in the initial install, like with me. I’m sure a video tutorial would help out a lot of (new) users.

Starting to get really impressed with your work output volume btw: I see you all over the place these days; thanks!

July 20, 2013 at 8:17 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

:) ill get one done now whilst im here :)

July 20, 2013 at 8:53 am
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Quick update: someone is kind enough to help me out by setting up the basics of my site’s taxonomies (thanks Mark P.!) right now.

Still, a tutorial video would be hugely helpful. I think you’re a bit busy with fixing brushfire type stuff right now, and I’m happy to wait, so I’ll get off your back about this for now 😉

July 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm
  • Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points

Rob,
    Mark’s tutorial is here

http://youtu.be/Coylm73Yw74

July 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Thanks for that link! Obviously didn’t see it, and didn’t think to keep track of the youtube channel. Great!

July 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Great; got it to work just fine so far.

Quick question though: what if I’d like to let users search for listings per state in a set country (my site will only display listings in one country).

I figured I’d have to set “Display Home Page? ” to “No” and then my country of choice in “Selection Box Values”. That didn’t work out though.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

July 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

Rob

all the countries are found in the file: framework/class/class_search.php

you could simply remove all but yours so the user has to select this one.

July 23, 2013 at 2:12 am
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Thanks Mark,

isn’t a workaround so that the country is selected automatically and that that field is hidden? My directorysite is for one specific country and it looks a bit strange if the users has to select the country.

Also, I’d like to create my own dependent lists, just like city is filled accordingly to what’s in country. Is that possible? Im specific scenario I’m like one list to be populated with the different jobtypes that are available in a certain state.

Thanks!

July 30, 2013 at 8:57 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

hi Rob

in 3.8 you dont need to have country so if your only reaching out to 1 location, i wouldnt use the country option at all.

there isnt any option for user created multi lits atm.

July 31, 2013 at 1:54 am
  • Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points

there isnt any option for user created multi lits atm.

Trying to understand the terminology here,
    Is user created multi-list what i would need if I wanted to supply a list containing all the valid city names in the region of the directory site to enforce a choice of just the cities on the list?

July 31, 2013 at 2:20 pm
  • Rob
    Rob
    Newbie 17 points

Thanks Mark. And would love to hear the answer to Mike’s follow-up question as well.

July 31, 2013 at 5:14 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team