Map on search results

Map on search results

July 28, 2013
Jo Jo
  • Jo
    Jo
    Newbie 64 points

How do I change the default map view on the search results page? – it currently shows a map of the world, I want it to be focussed on the UK.

Also, how do I set the site up to be UK only? No submissions from outside of the UK etc.

July 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

Jo

admin -> general setup -> submission options, you can set the zoom there.

July 29, 2013 at 2:53 am
  • Jo
    Jo
    Newbie 64 points

It doesn’t matter what value I put in, it still shows the world view. Do I need to set long and lat values as well in that section?

July 29, 2013 at 9:03 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

oh sorry i just noticed the search result page, ill add an option in the next update, since listing could be all over the world i left it on world view.

July 29, 2013 at 12:40 pm
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

I have 2 questions …
    – has the “option” been added because I can’t find way to set it to my local region
    – where is the setting to switch the “map option” on or off on the search results

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 1, 2013 at 7:15 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

there isn’t an option to turn it off unless you disable the map option altogether.

the map view options are under the general setup -> submission tab.

September 4, 2013 at 4:46 am
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

Thanks, I understand the “switching off” procedure now.

What I don’t get is this …
    – under the general setup -> submission tab … I have now entered/tried -33.924868500000000000,18.424055299999963000 and also 33.9253° S, 18.4239° E (for Cape Town, South Africa) but still when the map-button is clicked it shows me the top-half of the map (see screenshot)

What am I doing wrong.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 4, 2013 at 9:00 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

oh, since the listings could be worldwide i left the worldview as the default zoom level.

i guess i could add more options into 4.7 for you

September 4, 2013 at 9:16 am
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

1) Yes, having control over which “patch” of maps and zoom level loads will help a lot. In my case I could then set it up to load and zoom to fill the map with South Africa (While others can set it up to zoom/fill the specific city their directory is for, etc.)

2) So now … what ARE those zoom/lat/long settings in my screen-shot for then?

EDIT: OK, I see the zoom effects the map zoom-level when the listing is created … but what is the lat/long setting for … ?

September 4, 2013 at 9:23 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

sets the default display location, if none are entered its defaulted to 0,0 which is the center of the world.

September 5, 2013 at 2:36 am
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

Mark won’t you please use my data above (post #13689) and test because it doesn’t work like it should for me.

Here’s what happens for me :
    I am using V.4.5.
    – under the General Settings -> Submission Settings tab I input zoom & lat/long as in my example (screen shots)
    1- the zoom-setting sets the zoom on the LISTING FORM when I create a new listing … it does nothing on the search results-map (where it is supposed to impact)
    2- the lat/long setting has no effect/impact anywhere. NOT on the search-results map, and NOT on the Listing Form (the lat/long on the listing form is derived from what the user inputs in the “Your Location” field.)

As per my screenshot you can see that I don’t get the “centre of the world” view either … I get the upper-half. It’s almost as if it defaults to YOUR location … UK in map centre … and with NO zoom effect.

Please correct me if/where I am wrong (anybody)

September 5, 2013 at 7:37 am
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team