Map in responsive directory

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Map in responsive directory

Map in responsive directory

July 17, 2013
kairen kairen
  • kairen
    kairen
    Newbie 25 points

I think I must be missing something but does the map feature work any other way than zooming in on the map to find where you want to place the marker?

July 17, 2013 at 11:30 am

• Gil
    Newbie 13 points

Mark, I’d also like to see how to set the zoom for the map that shows up on the listing detail page. I’d rather see Main Street in Las Vegas, than Nevada with a pin icon on Las Vegas. How’s this done?

July 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

The map on the submission page requires the user to zoom in to select their location, this is common with alot of apps now even Google+.

the listing page zoom ill add an option for in the next update.

July 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm
  • Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points

The map on the submission page requires the user to zoom in to select their location, this is common with alot of apps now even Google+.

Google may allow you to use the map to adjust your map position, in which case you can zoom in a couple settings. But they start with a marker based on the address of the business that is entered as the listing is created. They certainly don’t start with a map of the world and then expect the biz owner to zoom all the way from there down to the property location on the map before the location is set. Many will just see their town then click in which case they will just be adding a random nearby address to their listing.

Just my humble opinion :)
    Mike

July 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  • Fernando
    Fernando
    Newbie 55 points

@Mark Fail: Is there some trick we could do to set the default map position in add listing page while we wait for next release?

July 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

@Mike i have added a text input for the user to enter their location which will plot on the map also.
    @Fernando, no tricks. Ill upload 3.6 tomorrow.

July 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm
  • David Harris
    David Harris
    Senior Member 367 points

Looks like Mark is on a roll. 😎

July 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm
  • Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points

@Mike i have added a text input for the user to enter their location which will plot on the map also.

Mark, great!. Can you include a parameter somewhere so we can specify the zoom level? That should be it.

Also, as we are trying to figure out what field on csv import can be used as a starting point for the map, is there some way to link an import field to the map text input field?

July 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

Can’t wait for 3.6!

July 19, 2013 at 9:48 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

@Mike, you can continue to use ‘map_location’ iv left that since it was popular for DP users.

It won’t however auto create any long/lat as this needs to be done when the user clicks on the map.

Iv also added options to set the default zoom and coords.

July 20, 2013 at 12:05 am
  • Thomas
    Thomas
    Newbie 53 points

I am a little bit confused …

If I set Google Map “ON” in General Setup -> Submission Settings, map and address input is shown in submission form of all packages, no matter whether I enhanced the package to Google Map or not.
    Customers of all packages are allowed to mark their business location on the map and this mark also is displayed in the map on search result page.
    Only difference is the appearence of the listing itself.

If Google Map is switched to “OFF” in General Settings, Google Map is not shown in any of the submission forms.

I had expected that, when Google Map is set to “OFF”, the map options are only displayed in the submission forms of those packages where I selected this feature.

Have I overlooked something?

Best regards
    Thomas

July 22, 2013 at 8:02 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

hi Thomas

the map is on the submission form regardless, its there to help your site track the users listing location rather than just plot a map on the users listing.

July 22, 2013 at 8:04 am
  • Thomas
    Thomas
    Newbie 53 points

In my opinion it would be rgardless if the locations of customers with no Google Map feature would not appear as a mark on the overview map on search result page.

… different approaches 😉

July 22, 2013 at 8:42 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

sure but then you’ll never find any listing in country searches.

July 22, 2013 at 9:04 am
  • Mike
    Mike
    Senior Member 130 points

@Mike, you can continue to use ‘map_location’ iv left that since it was popular for DP users.

It won’t however auto create any long/lat as this needs to be done when the user clicks on the map.

Iv also added options to set the default zoom and coords.

I am assuming once someone goes through the clicking on the location process you have come up with (still not a fan but I am open to anything) that the lat and long numbers are stored somewhere in the directory listing database.
    By looking at the csv output I can see you are maintaining
    map-address1
    map-address2
    map-address3
    map-city
    map-country
    map-lat
    map-log
    map-state
    map_location (field you mention above)

Here is what appears to me has happened on the first example I have tried:
    On the directory edit page i have entered:
    2265 Roswell Road, Marietta, GA 30062, USA

This was stored in map_location.
    Then it displayed a map with a marker location that was miles away actually it looked like where I think my ISP registers to
    Now since I was setting up a listing where I was not the business owner, etc, and since the initial text got me no where close, I had to go over to google in a separate browser window to try to find a closer location. I did so then zoomed in on the google listing so I could get reasonably close.
    Then back to the directory listing page, and by zooming and panning I was finally able to locate the same place on the map. I moved the hand icon over the spot and clicked the mouse and got my marker.

Now by doing an export of that directory listing, here is what i am noticing based on the correct address of:
    2265 Roswell Road, Marietta, GA 30062, USA

Your map data now lists
    map-address1 – blank
    map-address2 – blank
    map-address3 – Roswell Road
    map-city – Marietta
    map-country – US
    map-lat – 33.97387
    map-log – -84.4852
    map-state – Georgia
    map-zip – 30062

Now when you search the address in google maps and copy the link you get the following:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2265+Roswell+Road,+Marietta,+GA+30062,+USA&hl=en&sll=33.974036,-84.485346&sspn=0.000000,0.000000&hnear=2265+Roswell+Rd,+Marietta,+Cobb,+Georgia+30062&gl=us&mrt=rblall&start=70&t=m&z=17

The lat and long numbers are slightly off because I, as a human did not click in exactly the right spot.

Now part of the benefit of an accurate listing, at least for a business, is that it will act as another citation listing for the business. As such the map data needs to be a match to the google database and presented in markup code that google will recognize.

This would be an example of that code:

<div itemprop=”address” itemscope itemtype=”http://schema.org/PostalAddress”>
    <span itemprop=”streetAddress”>2265 Roswell Rd, #100</span><br />
    <span itemprop=”addressLocality”>Marietta</span>,<br />
    <span itemprop=”addressRegion”>GA</span><br />
    <span itemprop=”postalCode”>30062</span>
    </div>

To recreate this code properly, you will need an accurate street 1, street 2, etc.

So the first problem with this method of someone clicking on a map to get all the data set properly is a good chance of inaccurate data being captured, they could be a little off and actually end up with a different street.

The second thing that worries me about it is that actually being able to read a map to find a location is not a very common skill set, at least here in the US.
    Younger people who now are dependent on gps directions often cannot tell me which way east or north is. (I know, kind of sad).

So in the ideal situation where a business owner claims a listing, they may get close with your tool if they can read a map.

In our case we are populating our listings with the businesses we want in the directory, we know their exact street address, and can easily ask google for the lat and long numbers, to add to our import spreadsheet. But since as creators or publishers of the directory we have really no clue how to find a business starting with a map, your method is really of no use and vastly slows the process down.

I can see the logic behind a directory who’s content will grow organically as businesses not listed add their listing, and clicking on a map to “get close” so their location is properly marked is nice.

But on top of that we need a way to accurately set up the listings.

So I am assuming as long as I as the publisher and admin am able to provide values for the above fields, via csv import or by editing the listing, that the map marker will appear correctly.

If so, then the only thing I would request is a global switch that allow the “click on the map” method to be disabled, giving us as admin’s the ability to set the location accurately and avoiding a situation where once it is set a user might be clicking on the map and end up moving it.

Sorry for the length of this post.

July 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team