Steve

How to set up auctions for MY domains only. Visitors can only bid on them.

This is my first PremiumPress theme, and my first WordPress site, so I have a lot to learn. I'm watching the videos and reading all I can, but I'm also eager to have my Auctions website working. I want to use the Auctions theme for selling my domain names only. I want visitors/members to only be able to bid on my domain names. 1 - How do I make it so as Admin I'm the only one to be able to post/submit auction items, and how do I remove the "Submit" button, etc.? 2 - I don't want a header image at the top since I'm only selling domain names. How do I replace the header image with a text box where I can explain about the site and how to use it, etc.? 3 - I would like to list many domain names for sale with a different minimum bid amount for each name. Then when someone bids on a name, it then becomes a live auction for 7 days. Can this be done? If so, how? 5 - Does the Auction theme have a feature for immediately emailing bidders when they are outbid so they can bid again? 6 - Will auctions be extended a specified amount of time when a bid is received within the last few, specified minutes of an auction? 7 - I don't want/need a photo with each domain name auction listing. Is it possible to not have images with each listing? If so, how do I do this? Thank you!

Created: June 15, 2014 at 2:41 am
  • In: Auction Theme
  • Started by: SteveSteve
  • 3 members left 5 comments
  • Last reply from: AngelaAngela

• Angela
    Angela
    June 15, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I don’t know the answers to all your questions but here is some guidance on some of them:

1. Theme Options > General Settings >
    Submission Settings > Allow visitor submissions should be off
    My Account Options > Display create listing should be off

3. You can use “Start Price” to enter the minimum bid. Users will then need to enter $1 more than this price to start bidding. The auction starts as soon as you create it or you can set a future date/time for it to start. However, you can’t post the auction but only have the timer start once someone enters the first bid.

5. You can set up the outbid email in the Email Settings section.

6. This theme does not have the extended time function. You can vote for this feature here

• Steve
    Steve
    June 16, 2014 at 2:17 am

Hi Angela,

You did pretty good for a “newbie” ๐Ÿ™‚

Anybody else know the others?

Thank you,

Steve

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    June 16, 2014 at 2:39 am

1 โ€“ How do I make it so as Admin Iโ€™m the only one to be able to post/submit auction items, and how do I remove the โ€œSubmitโ€ button,

A. remove the link in the admin under the general setup -> page and button links tab.

2 โ€“ I donโ€™t want a header image at the top since Iโ€™m only selling domain names. How do I replace the header image with a text box where I can explain about the site and how to use it,

A. custom design would be a custom child theme job.

3 โ€“ I would like to list many domain names for sale with a different minimum bid amount for each name. Then when someone bids on a name, it then becomes a live auction for 7 days. Can this be done? If so, how?

A. we dont have any options currently. You could set a reserve for each auction though.

5 โ€“ Does the Auction theme have a feature for immediately emailing bidders when they are outbid so they can bid again?

A. not currently, buts is on the list of things to add.

6 โ€“ Will auctions be extended a specified amount of time when a bid is received within the last few, specified minutes of an auction?

A. no

7 โ€“ I donโ€™t want/need a photo with each domain name auction listing. Is it possible to not have images with each listing? If so, how do I do this?

A. admin -> page setup -> content layout

• Steve
    Steve
    June 16, 2014 at 2:53 am

Hi Mark. I think the technical term is… WOW! Thank you for such a detailed reply. You definitely are now my person of the week! ๐Ÿ™‚

When might a feature for immediately emailing bidders when they are outbid in an auction so they can bid again?

Might you possibly be considering adding a feature to extend a specified amount of time when a bid is received within the last few, specified minutes of an auction?

All The Best!

Steve

• Angela
    Angela
    June 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I am a newbie so it’s very possible I have misunderstood some of the functions or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are looking for.

You can set up an email that goes to bidders when they have been outbid. See picture…..from email setup area. Is this what you are looking for?

Also, if you want bidders to be unable to bid below a specific minimum first bid level, then you would use the start price since the first bid must be $1 more than the start price. Using the reserve price doesn’t stop a bidder from bidding below the reserve price. They just can’t win the auction at a bid below the reserve. You can use the reserve price if what you want is a hidden value that must be met in order for someone to win the auction, but it doesn’t function the same as using the start price which is essentially the minimum, out of the gate starting price for the auction.

And I’m glad to see another supporter for the extended time (soft close) feature!!

๐Ÿ˜€

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)