Nicholas

How to limit categories in home page setup

Hi Guys, A plea for help/advice in two parts please: 1. In Real Estate Responsive 8.0 I am setting up Theme Options > Page Setup > Home Page. In Display Setup, I have chosen to show Text/HTML, Categories and Recent Listings (all inline). I have five top-level categories, one of which is Country. This category has (at present) 86 sub-categories, each of which is a country name. Where appropriate, each of these (larger) countries is then broken down into another level of sub-categories, by region. So, for example, a user could select the Country top-category, then USA as the second level and then California as the third level to view properties in California only Could anyone please tell me how I may limit the category levels shown on the Home page to (in this case) Country > Country Name only - i.e. I do not wish to show on the Home page, all of the individual US States etc. I have (at present) over 500 subcategories under the top level category 'Country' alone and, since these are listed vertically down the page, the result looks terrible. Selecting each category and subcategory in the ‘Parent Category Display’ area is not really practical. 2. Also, is there a way to get the categories and subcategories to run horizontally across the page rather than vertically down it in order to vastly reduce the length of a page caused by all the (in my case) countries running down it? Thank you all for your thoughts and time.

Created: March 12, 2015 at 1:32 am
  • In: Real Estate Theme
  • Started by: NicholasNicholas
  • 4 members left 8 comments
  • Last reply from: MM

• Mr
    Mr
    March 12, 2015 at 5:46 am

When setting the category homepage widget object, you can disable ‘show subcategories’.

Take a look at this if you plan to set it up in your sidebar as well:

• Nicholas
    Nicholas
    March 12, 2015 at 5:59 am

Hello Mr! Thank you for your interest and advice.
    Yes – I understand this – but my problem is that I wish to show the first two levels of category – Top level “country” and then the second level – individual countries. But not the third level – states/regions within those countries.
    Disabling ‘show subcategories’ limits me to top level only, so I can’t show individual countries.
    I think this might be fixable by inserting appropriate coding into my child theme, but the writing of such code is a giant leap too far for me – so I am hoping that there might be an easier way.
    I am now wondering if the answer might be to create my own table of categories and sub-categories and insert that into a text block, or something. Would require an initial investment of time although updates wouldn’t be so bad.
    Would still prefer to avoid that though………..if possible……………..

• Mr
    Mr
    March 12, 2015 at 6:15 am

You’re right. Unfortunately, such will require php customization. It’ll certainly be best for you to just consider simply creating an html category block as an alternative which is a great idea btw. 🙂

| Premium Plugins and Custom Theme Design

• Nicholas
    Nicholas
    March 12, 2015 at 9:45 am

Thank you Mr. I’ll give it a while to see if anyone else can offer a less time-consuming solution – otherwise I think I’ll create the HTML table. 🙁

• Josh
    March 12, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hello Nicholas
    We can try using some your url?

• Nicholas
    Nicholas
    March 12, 2015 at 11:31 am

Hello Josh,
    Thank you for your interest:

It’s not yet complete of course and needs some tidying up – but you’ll see what I mean about the length of the Home page 🙁

• Nicholas
    Nicholas
    March 15, 2015 at 3:47 am

Hello Guys,
    Thank you both for your interest. I couldn’t work out how to do this with CSS or any other easy way so I have created a table which looks OK. Not the ideal solution, I know, but the only way I could manage it. Thanks anyway.

• M
    M
    March 15, 2015 at 5:17 am

You can limit the sub categories by:

CATEGORIES -> SUB CATEGORY DISPLAY – > Max Sub Cats

Update your theme if you don’t see these options?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)