How to customize My Accounts tab in DP

• Larry
    Larry
    Newbie 68 points
    August 9, 2013 at 4:56 pm

After much experimentation I settled on the Simple:Press forum. Should have taken Daniela and Richard’s advice straightaway and I would have saved much frustration.

But here’s one last detail I’m trying to solve:

1) Users must log in to post.

2) After the user logs in he gets the DP “My Account” page. Then he must click FORUMS in the overhead menu again. Many of my demographic won’t know to do that, therefore it’s not really good usability.

3) I’d like to add that link, and preferably with a little icon, to the My Account desktop choices (My Account Details, My Messages, etc). Can that be done without complicated custom programming?

Or does anybody have a suggestion for a workaround that affords good usability?

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

i think you’d need to post on the jobs board, iv never used simplepress and so have no idea how it works.

• Larry
    Larry
    Newbie 68 points
    August 9, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Mark. Actually all I need to do is link to my page /forum from the My Account desktop.

I probably confused everybody– the workaround I speculated about was in DP, not Simple:Press.

Can one place a custom text widget on a single page such as My Accounts? Could I say “click here to to to Forums” or whatever that way?

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hi Larry, that would require a small modification to your _tpl_my-account.php file (or creating one in your child theme folder if it does not exist).

I can assist you with it if you want.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Larry
    Larry
    Newbie 68 points
    August 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Richard–

Yes, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to raise the hood on that file as it all may be over my pay grade. Let me fool around here first and see if I blunder into something. Thanks.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 9, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Who said anything about payment?

• Larry
    Larry
    Newbie 68 points
    August 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Well this is indeed a good day. I come back from the market with a workmanlike bottle of merlot for dinner and I read your offer. Absolutely! What do I need to do?

• Larry
    Larry
    Newbie 68 points
    August 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm

All I see here in Appearance > Edit is tpl-myaccount.php

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Larry, I have created/modified the _tpl_myaccount.php in your child theme and included a new Forum section in there. Please check and let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Larry
    Larry
    Newbie 68 points
    August 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Richard,
    You nailed it perfectly. Thanks for helping overcome this usability problem. And you followed up your work with a personal phone call to make sure I was satisfied. I would recommend you to anybody who needs custom Premiumpress themes work done.

Attached is a screen shot of the perfect placement and blending in of the link for my forum.

Larry

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 10, 2013 at 1:02 am

thanks for helping Richard

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes