Email problem when members register with a Hotmail address

• Ron
    Ron
    Newbie 18 points
    April 3, 2015 at 8:43 am

When I do a test registration and create a test profile using a Hotmail address the Welcome email and the Your Profile Has Been Received emails don’t get sent out. But if I use a non Hotmail address the emails get sent out fine.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

• Alex Morgan
    Alex Morgan
    Super Guru 1,109 points
    April 3, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Hi Ron,

Sometimes Hotmail blocks wordpress emails. I would suggest you try to use smtp plugin to change your mailer on wordpress.

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    May 16, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I have same problems, has anyone come up with solution ?

• Douglas
    Douglas
    Senior Member 102 points
    May 16, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Best solution for all free mail accounts is to send WP messages using a recognised mail server. You can set up a Gmail account and tell it to accept mail from cpanel@blah blah.com. Hotmail and others will accept these messages.

For reasons known only to the millionaires who made a bucket of money from spam, spam assassin and the like will dump messages from WordPress and users never know until they lose money or miss getting paid.

You might also use Godaddy’s mail server (if you are still with them) to send your messages but their servers are frequently black listed and Godaddy don’t seem to care. They just change the IP of the black listed server. I’d go with Gmail if I were you.

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    May 16, 2016 at 10:22 pm

I guess sending a professional email with blahblah@hotmail doesnt look so good.

SPF records seem to work but sending the email vi this them doesnt go into hotmail accounts

• Douglas
    Douglas
    Senior Member 102 points
    May 17, 2016 at 6:13 am

Yeah… Got it mate!
    Try configuring your directory to use the outgoing mail server at Godaddy β€” the SMTP one. Better still is use the SMTP server of a Gmail account. Blah blah is where you put your email address. Duhh. As if you didn’t know!

DO you need step by step instructions on how to configure WP for this? Gmail is pretty easy to set up for sending messages from a remote Cpanel. Just let me know if you want help there too.

Keep your nails short when rattling the keyboard mate,
    Saves using white out to write the numbers on the keys!
    Douglas

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    May 17, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Yes pls some help “Try configuring your directory to use the outgoing mail server at Godaddy”

• Dave Harris
    Dave Harris
    Super Guru 1,383 points
    May 17, 2016 at 7:23 pm

What sort of emails are you sending Jason and how many at a time?

Also are the unsolicited?

• Dave Harris
    Dave Harris
    Super Guru 1,383 points
    May 17, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Another thing to know is hotmail, outlook, gmail etc etc have secret/private … blacklists, when people have abused an IP or domain in the past etc and will affect email for others, you have to request a removal, now this is different from normal blacklists that can be found on mxtoolbox etc.

Just Google a bit and you will find out all about this.

But keep in mind that ANY unsolicited email is SPAM and will be treated as such by the big guys and rightly so.

Myself I don’t tolerate spammers for even a moment and never let them on my network.

David
    DediClub

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    May 17, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Test emails from within picture to several different hotmail address and they just dont go there

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Dave Harris
    Dave Harris
    Super Guru 1,383 points
    May 17, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Maybe not to inbox, check spam and junk, if they are going there you need to get off their private lists or let your signed up clients know these things, the free email like mentioned are very strict, which is annoying as they started spam in the first place.

Another practice which the big boys use is not even allow people to sign up with a free email address.

You sign up and get a response like please use a REAL domain. πŸ™‚

Spam has ruined it for a lot of legitimate business.

I think a lot of it goes on with marks themes, I get it a lot, it’s not Marks fault but people are attracted to his themes etc because of the price and unlimited sites.

David

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    May 17, 2016 at 8:55 pm

You said “Another practice which the big boys use is not even allow people to sign up with a free email address.

You sign up and get a response like please use a REAL domain. πŸ™‚ ”

How can I make that happen ?

• Douglas
    Douglas
    Senior Member 102 points
    May 17, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Collecting addresses that are NOT on free Email servers is almost impossible. Jason is running a directory of coffee lounges. No way he’s going to personally visit clients in Perth (Australia) and Cairns 6000 Klm apart to sell a listing. Phoning them is not really practical either, given the number of listings he’s planning.

The only way he’s going to get paid listings is to put them in for free and then try and sell an enhancement. Same practice as I’d expect most directory owners to use. This is technically not spam but Godaddy (for one) and Microsoft’s outlook (for another) will think it is because there is no message from the contact agreeing to subscribe to his bulk Email.

Its a problem every directory owner faces. How do you contact people β€” Managers and owners (not businesses themselves) with unsolicited ‘business’ Email?

Well there is some hope. If a business lists there Email address in a web page, they are covertly agreeing to accept unsolicited Email. The fly in the ointment is ‘BULK’. Unsolicited bulk Email most definitely is spam. Unsolicited ‘business’ Email is not… Australian anti- spam legislation. Not sure about elsewhere in the world.

I know that in Australia Microsoft have a policy not to accept Email from directory sites that are not regarded as ‘reputable’ but they will accept messages from another Email provider like Gmail. Recently I fell into the ‘Outlook’ trap. I use an outlook address for some forums. When messages stopped arriving I got curious and sure enough, the WordPress plugin creators site was in their soft black list.

I’d guess that at about identical message number 19 from Jason, Godaddy will stop accepting mail from his directory, even though they host it!.

I’d really like to know the boundaries of this so I’ll send Jason instructions on how to have WordPress use his host’s Email server. Hopefully we’ll discover pretty soon what Godaddy’s tolerance to PP’s directory!

• Dave Harris
    Dave Harris
    Super Guru 1,383 points
    May 17, 2016 at 8:59 pm
  • Dave Harris
    Dave Harris
    Super Guru 1,383 points
    May 17, 2016 at 9:00 pm

You said β€œAnother practice which the big boys use is not even allow people to sign up with a free email address.

You sign up and get a response like please use a REAL domain. πŸ™‚ ”

How can I make that happen ?

That’s a tricky one. Only when you can pick and choose or command a potential client.

I have users using gmail etc but I get them to verify me by adding to contacts. All is fine then but then I am not a huge business.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes