double menus?

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

double menus?

June 25, 2014
Jeffrey Jeffrey
  • Stephen
    Stephen
    Senior Member 111 points

Thanks guys.. I will give it a try..

Cheers

August 6, 2014 at 8:27 pm
  • Regardt
    Regardt
    Newbie 9 points

I have a mobile menu at the bottom of my page and I have no idea how to fix it.

Link to the site : http://beta.koopkarre.co.za Picture is also attached.

I prefer the mobile menu at the bottom because of the built in search function. Any way to implement only that menu and at the top of the page?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help out.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 8, 2014 at 8:58 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

@Mark – I am not sure but there is something wrong here.

There should not be two menus in my system when viewing on a phone and the code that was suggested above will not work as it will remove all menus from the system when viewing on a tablet.

Please goto my test site on a desktop, phone and tablet – I am using “http://mobiletest.me/” to test my layouts. http://dev.garrettmapping.com/

You will see on a phone like the HTC One etc that there are clearly two menu systems – with that said I do have two menus 1. a Main Menu set as the “Main Navigation” menu and 2. a Mobile Menu set as the “Mobile Device Navigation”.

There is absolutely NO reason for two menus to be showing up on a phone, space is already limited.

What is going on with this menu structure?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 9, 2014 at 1:29 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

OK let me ask the question differently – what is the point of a mobile menu when you will always get the main menu on a phone/tablet? Why two menus?

August 10, 2014 at 7:49 pm
  • JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points

Hi Jeffrey,

Have you already reviewed/adjusted the Menu settings under “Appearance >> Menus”?
    (under the WordPress sidebar menu)

August 12, 2014 at 12:34 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

Yes

August 12, 2014 at 12:35 am
  • JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points

Sorry about that, missed the screenshots.

What are the rest of your settings for the “Main” menu? the screenshot only shows the top portion.

Also, I noticed that the “Main” menu doesn’t appear when viewing the device horizontally (for what it’s worth).

August 12, 2014 at 12:49 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

The main menu is setup properly. Also the reason why the menu doesn’t show is because of the CSS code mentioned on the first page of the thread. Hence my concern that you can’t use that code and back to my frustration with having a double menu if you try to set a mobile menu for mobile navigation.

August 12, 2014 at 12:55 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

So what is everyone doing with their sites if they have two menus?

August 13, 2014 at 1:38 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

Jeffrey you wouldn’t have double menus if you disable your mobile menu.

The main menu will resize so if your using the main menu this will be enough for you.

The mobile menu stays at the top so for users with long pages this extra menu is ideal for them.

August 13, 2014 at 2:03 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

Thanks mark but I was under the impression that the mobile menu could be used to limit the entries when you have large menus on a desktop view.

Please take a look at the two menus that I have and you will see why I want a mobile only menu as my desktopenu is too large for a mobile view.

August 13, 2014 at 2:27 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

three is two options here

1. use CSS to hide the main menu on the mobile view

2. i could add an option into an upcoming update which hides the main menu in mobile view (basically doing the above)

3. i could add an option which places the mobile menu into the menu menu on mobile view and hides the sticky menu. (many people might not want this though so it would be on/off)

August 13, 2014 at 2:34 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

Thank you again one thing I noted with the CSS code offered up earlier in this thread, it removed the main menu in mobile but it also removed it on tablets and that is when the mobile menu disappeared as well leaving me with NO menu which is not what I want either.

#core_smallmenu {display: none;}

August 13, 2014 at 2:37 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

you should use;

@media (min-width: 0px) and (max-width: 400px) {
    #core_smallmenu {display: none;}
    }

August 13, 2014 at 3:00 am
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    Senior Member 231 points

Thanks again Mark, that bit of code seems to do what I need. I can’t thank you (and your team) and other forum members here enough for all the help…

August 13, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team