CSS

• Richard
    Richard
    September 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Hi,

Just reviewing the site,

Over the last few weeks, I have been adding and removing various custom css styles provided to make changes to the theme.

Looking at the page source code, I can see these changes which are all in dated times and dates, of which, some are duplication’s which may be contributing to page load times.

When you add a new style, is this added to the current custom style sheet or does it replicate and then add new syles?

If that makes sense?

Many Thanks

• Richard
    Richard
    September 4, 2015 at 4:33 pm

CLosed

• Errol
    Errol
    September 4, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Assume you’re using the design setup tool in 8.3 and below and each time you make changes in the left column and click save changes the system does not override the former instead it will replicate and then add the new styles below and so on each time you make a change in that manner.

What we usually do is copy all CSS styles that is available and save it in a note document just in case then delete all the settings to the right and click “Save CSS Changes Only” – after the change you can click save changes from the left column once again if that is the applied CSS changes you want to add or you can copy and paste from the save note the styles you want to appear and click save CSS changes only once again and you should be good to go.

Do not know if the above procedure make any sense or any help to you but this is the procedure we being using for a while – may be another member has different opinions they can post here.

Regards,

P.S. There were a post some time ago that states that when uploading large text files to a post such as the one above it would be best to zip it first or something to that effect before uploading 🙂 Best Wishes

• Clive
    Clive
    September 4, 2015 at 11:12 pm

I personally add all my CSS tweaks to my Child Theme’s style.css file.

• Richard
    Richard
    September 5, 2015 at 2:06 am

Hi Errol,

Thanks for that,

Forgot about posting large amounts of data, remember next time 😉

• Aaron
    Aaron
    September 5, 2015 at 3:30 am

I keep going on about inline styles and using design setup to add css changes. We have users with 1000 lines of css and js code all overwriting the other and they wonder why their website isn’t performing.

In a nutshell Poor code affects seo so use a child theme.

• Janak
    September 5, 2015 at 7:27 am

Richard, when I used design setup in the past I just deleted the css from the box above the last dated set of css ie. If /*** Styles Added Tuesday 16th of December 2014 01:10:05 PM ***/ was the last one then I deleted everything above it and clicked Save CSS Changes Only.

It is preferable to put these changes in Custom Meta Data instead or even more preferable a child theme. You can always use the Design Setup to play around and help you identify the CSS needed to tweak certain things then put the css in child theme or custom meta data.

As Errol says back up your css changes in a text file in case something goes wrong but if you use a child theme you have them saved anyway,

• Clive
    Clive
    September 5, 2015 at 7:58 am

Well Aaron, it looks like you and I are the only ones bothered about SEO, site load speed and doing things correctly 😉

• Janak
    September 5, 2015 at 8:32 am

Clive, where do you get that idea from – I use child themes and am very much bothered about doing things correctly. I stated it was preferable to use a child theme. I merely gave advice for if someone was going to use design setup. As I also stated my experience of design setup was from the past (when I was new to PP). Rant over. 🙂

• Errol
    Errol
    September 5, 2015 at 6:41 pm

🙂 Np @Richard – Hmm I guess it is the Forum regular weekend special as usual.

All the procedures mention above are viable tools that can be used by users to achieve their goals in developing their site, we must remember that a city was not build with just one road alone, there are many other avenues and boulevard to reach your destination.

If I’m correct the Q was based on the “Design Setup” tool which was implemented in the theme from as far back that I can recall and it as assisted many over the years seeing that less complication or mind boggling and unwanted features (that is added and not even needed in the theme to function properly) is one of the key ingredients to ease of success in this fast-pace moving environment we’re living in today.

I use the design tool a few times on certain quick projects we worked on and I’m not afraid to say, seeing that time may be the essence of all things has stated by many before us and the ease of use and user friendly features can be added to the lists. The only setback with this tool while it was working and still intact within the theme up to 8.3 is that the Team members needed was to hand it over to a capable individual or an assistant developer to clean up all those pesky little critters/bugs that was lurking within the features for years and Bam in an instant you have a handy push button tool that can assist many users along the way without having to post or open a ticket for a quick fix until they learned the fundamental of CSS/JavaScript, if they really want to learn it.

Many may not birth as super-human and if we can recall our childhood days are the one told to us by our parents, we first had was to creep then walk and eventually get up and run. During our growth many learn to swim and some even dive to the depth of the oceans – some wind up flying through the sky and eventually wind up launching above the earth atmosphere to the outer boundaries of space.

Reading many of these post if we’re willing to help others who comes on-board we would realize that many of these users are not rocket scientist are having the keen knowledge of the more advanced users to implement the required CSS/JavaScript while developing their theme and they may be looking for a way to achieve some form of financial security like many on here are trying to do – I guess. I believe PP team should clean up or refurbish the “design setup” tool and leaving it in tact until something better comes around for new users in mind.

This is just my 2 Pence; sorry for the lengthy post I try to make it as short as I possibly can. Knowing that it is the weekend so I’m wishing one and all a happy and exciting weekend filled with Joy and Laughter and keep in mind that some may like coffee and some tea and some may like both – some may like rum, brandy, beer, stout or other things – Enjoy. 🙂

Best Regards,

• Richard
    Richard
    September 5, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Thank you all for your valued contributions

Appreciated 😉

• Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    October 31, 2015 at 2:08 pm

@Richard, can you delete/edit those Code from your post ? It makes the search result odd looking.

Edit it from here ( as logged in user ). https://www.premiumpress.com/forums/reply/94456/edit/

Go to above URL to edit.

• Richard
    Richard
    October 31, 2015 at 6:41 pm

@Hemanta,

NP, but no edit feature to do that.

• Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    October 31, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Copyright © 2010-2020 PremiumPress Limited.

secure payments