Cluster marker cannot open because two listings occupy the exact lat/long…

• Jesse
    Jesse
    Newbie 90 points
    September 17, 2015 at 8:00 am

Anyone else have the problem where a cluster marker cannot open further because two listings occupy the exact same location (lat/long)?

Unfortunately I cannot ask the owner of the site to manually update these anomalies (e.g. to change the coordinates slightly) because they’re determined to make a complete listing wipe/reload from CSV each time. And, because there are a lot of listings like this that share the same location, it gets tedious fairly quickly if they had to manually change coordinates for each of these.

Fyi, the coordinates are not uploaded with the CSV, they’re set automatically by the GEO Coordinates plugin by sMarty (which gets erased every time they wipe/reload the listings). Any creative ideas how to get around this?

Thanks and regards,
    Jesse

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Jesse
    Jesse
    Newbie 90 points
    September 19, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Anyone?

• Errol
    Errol
    Super Guru 2,708 points
    September 20, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Did you do a search to see if this was asked before and there was an answer to the Q?

• Jesse
    Jesse
    Newbie 90 points
    September 20, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Hi Errol,

As usual, I always check the forums first. In this case I tried the search terms with no results:

“cluster marker same location”
    “two listings occupy the exact same location”
    “two pins same location”

I’ve consulted coderspress.com who wrote “Its probable because the map pins are on top of each other… Try adjusting the latitude and longitude coordinates – offset one of them by a few points”

So there’s two ways to approach this problem as I see it:

1) Adjust the geo-coding plugin so it detects identical lat/long and adds +0.0001 to each instance (though this has its drawbacks for obvious reasons).
    2) Adjust the Search Result Page’s map so that a cluster pin with identical lat/long will display in descending order the listing titles upon hover (see attached example).

Do these sound reasonable? Is one more actionable than another? I am open to other brainstorming ideas, thanks…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Jesse
    Jesse
    Newbie 90 points
    September 20, 2015 at 8:44 pm

PS-The organization I work with (a non-profit) has little money so I don’t have much to work with, but if one of the ideas above sound do-able, I’m also open to getting quotes for the dev time that I can take back to them… It’s important that their listings (12-step recovery meetings) are displayed, even they are held at different days/times in the week (in the same location). Thanks in advance for any brainstorming help…

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    September 20, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Or an easier option. Simply increase the zoom on the Google map. The bigger the zoom, the more space between points.

HTH 🙂

• Jesse
    Jesse
    Newbie 90 points
    September 21, 2015 at 2:44 am

Hi Clive,
    Thanks for the idea but the problem remains that it’s still two posts occupying a single spot – I had to double-click on the cluster marker 9 times before one green pin shows up (in other words, whereas usually a cluster market zooms & divides when clicked the first time, this cluster marker does not behave in the same way). So a visitor would probably not think to continue zooming if the cluster does not open the first or second time…
    But again, thank you for your brainstorming! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes