Super Guru 1,710 points
    March 2, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Its a mystery 🙂

Looking for the solution.

• zarko
    zarko
    Senior Member 360 points
    March 2, 2015 at 5:15 pm

This blue search box area is unique to Classifieds theme, it can not be used in other themes from pp framework and doesn’t come in any child theme either. It’s available only if you use default design of classifieds theme ( built in child theme )

This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Titan 776 points
    March 2, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Zarko

How lovely and miss-leading to the Users – tempt them with something they cant in practice use!

Thats kinda disappointing to put it mildly.

Because we are told that we should only use Child Themes to customise!

You did this with the Jobs Boards Them too and it was pretty frustrating there as well.

Its a really nice feature – but is in practice difficult to use. It promises something that is un-delivered.

The Child Themes look un-appealing compared to the main Theme. Is it because you dont want people to use this feature?

aaaaaaargh!!!

3/10 for lack of advanced thought….

• zarko
    zarko
    Senior Member 360 points
    March 2, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Mike,

When building a default design, it’s often needed to add something that’s unique to that particular theme. You can see it in most of the themes, this is why Mark implements them in built in design for each theme

If you just want plain design without any extra elements, you can install another child theme

Now if you would like this particular search box, you can implement it easily in any child theme. It’s just a matter of copying a function from _functions.php from core theme to _functions.php in your new child theme and probably adding some styles

And you could even build it in just HTML if you are good at HTML/CSS and if you are just going to have static fields ( eg. predefined list of cities in dropdown ). Go to Page Setup > Home page, add Text box object to home page and write your HTML there

• Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    Super Guru 1,710 points
    March 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Yes, I got your point. But everyone is not good at coding. And to add this block by HTML is something very complicated, if I want a linked cities. And each time I add a category, I have update that piece of code. Not good!! Need the php to do this. Can you copy and paste that php code here ? You can copy it from _functions.php

Also it is not something that, they have hire a developer to do this, its a basic design, that should came up with the theme itself.

It would have been better if you add this particular search box in the home page search element`.

• Mike
    Mike
    Titan 776 points
    March 2, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Zarko

This does not negate my central point.

However, I will have a go at that!

Can you tell which particular function appertains to the search form please – which should copy over?

thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes