Changes to Styles.css not working

• Janet
    Janet
    Newbie 29 points
    October 18, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Hello,

I am still having trouble with the styles.css file. I am using the Directory Theme, with a child theme installed.

Whenever I try to make changes to the styles.css file of the child theme (even changing something that is already in there – e.g. changing the font size from 20px to 50px), nothing happens. This happened to me previously and the only way to make the changes work last time was to put them in the Custom CSS section (General setup – layout setup – Custom CSS) between the <Head> tags and make everything !important (also not ideal).

I can’t however, put all my CSS changes into the Head section and don’t understand why the changes I make to the styles.css file don’t work.

I have deactivated all plugins, cleared the cache, and updated the file each time, but the changes simply don’t take.

Can anyone suggest to me what I am doing wrong? Are all my changes being overwritten by something somewhere else or is the styles.css file somehow blocked from being changed?

Janet

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    October 18, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Janet, have you definitely got the child theme activated as opposed to parent DT theme?

If you think you doing everything correctly then I’d raise a ticket so support can help you.

• Janet
    Janet
    Newbie 29 points
    October 19, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Many thanks Janak. I’ve checked that the Child theme is activated – and it appears to be as that is what displays when I “visit the site”.
    I’ve put in a support ticket and will hope It’s not something totally obvious that I’ve missed!

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    October 19, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Ok Janet, let us know how you get on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes