Can you limit Image Size in Listings?

• Wayne
    Wayne
    Newbie 42 points
    September 4, 2013 at 12:56 am

Mark

With the Directory Theme, I notice a listing owner can upload any size image they like into their listing.
    Is there any way to constrain or limit the size of the images they upload at into their listing?

cheers
    Wayne

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    September 4, 2013 at 2:59 am

im afraid not

• Bernard
    Bernard
    Newbie 33 points
    September 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Hi Wayne,

I currently use this plugin found on wordpress.org
    It works great and does exactly what you are looking for. I currently use it on my site. I was having the same issues with users upload 5mb images for their listing which in return would slow the site down when loading the images. (not anymore, thanks to this plugin.) BTW it’s free!!

Resize Image After Upload

Super easy to configure.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.,

• Wayne
    Wayne
    Newbie 42 points
    September 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thanks very much Bernard. Awesome!

Wayne

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    September 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm

@Wayne … I use these two together in a 2-step process:

1- https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-image-size-limit/ … to set the upload limit to whatever you want to. I have mine set to 2Mb max and once uploaded the below plugin crunches the image down and delete the original 2Mb image automatically …

2- https://wordpress.org/plugins/ewww-image-optimizer/ … to crunch 2Mb images down to about 100Kb without any loss of quality for directory use. (If the user uploads a 500Kb image it gets crunched down to 40-50Kb)

• Wayne
    Wayne
    Newbie 42 points
    September 10, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thanks Henk. Brilliant! 🙂

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    September 11, 2013 at 6:45 am

😉

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    September 13, 2013 at 6:12 am

thanks for sharing

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    November 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Just an update … ewww-image-optimizer has stopped working properly for me. Must be the latest version updates. Now using https://wordpress.org/plugins/imsanity/

• Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points
    November 17, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Thanks Henk.

• Gary
    Gary
    Newbie 53 points
    November 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thank you Bernard and Henk. Very useful info. Thanks for posting this Wayne, I was just about to ask the same question.

• Wayne
    Wayne
    Newbie 42 points
    November 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Henk 🙂

• Luciana
    Luciana
    Senior Member 117 points
  • Mike
    Mike
    Newbie 64 points
    December 11, 2013 at 9:59 am

@ Henk. I just tried to use the WP Image Size Limit and found that the listing was still created but the larger image was not saved (I had one under 300K and one over). The issue was that the screen did not change to a ‘We have received your listing’ style but remained as a ‘create listing’ screen.

Is there any way to actually STOP the listing being saved and give the user a chance to replace the over-sized image with a smaller one? A suitable message can be added e.g. images over 300 KB are not accepted. Please resize these and try again.

Hope that is clear enough.

Thanks

Mike

• Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points
    December 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

A suitable message can be added e.g. images over 300 KB are not accepted. Please resize these and try again.

It does exactly that … it gives an error when you save/submit a new listing with an “over-sized” image (and returns the unsubmitted form back to you to correct). That’s what mine does anyway. The “error message” is not very clear and you may be “missing” it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes