Adrian

Business Directory Theme Queries

[code title=""]<p><u>Category Widget</u></p> <p>I note that the category widget makes use of icons from https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/. This is a nice feature but to be honest the range of icons there is extremely limited for what most people will be using a business directory theme for. There is very few business/shopping/ecommerce related icons suitable for a directory of businesses/shops etc<br> <br> There seems to be no other way of adding alternative category widget icons and there also appears to be no way of hiding icons in the category widget as there is no option in the widget to display/not display category icons?<br> <br> Is there any way that other icons can be used instead of these or switching them off completely?</p> <p><u>Category Images</u></p> <p>In the Page Setup section the Categories option does not allow for Category Images to be hidden, only for the images to be Large/Medium/Small? If no image is added to a Category then a 'NO IMAGE' image appears. I would have thought that having the option here to display/not display category images would be a default feature? Are you planning to do so? </p> <p>I know that in both the above cases you may suggest css hacks but is that really the best way of handling what should be default features?</p> [/code]

Created: October 27, 2014 at 10:10 pm
  • In: Directory Theme
  • Started by: AdrianAdrian
  • 5 members left 10 comments
  • Last reply from: CliveClive

• Adrian
    Adrian
    October 27, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Repost
    Category Widget
    I note that the category widget makes use of icons from This is a nice feature but to be honest the range of icons there is extremely limited for what most people will be using a business directory theme for. There is very few business/shopping/ecommerce related icons suitable for a directory of businesses/shops etc

There seems to be no other way of adding alternative category widget icons and there also appears to be no way of hiding icons in the category widget as there is no option in the widget to display/not display category icons?

Is there any way that other icons can be used instead of these or switching them off completely?
    Category Images
    In the Page Setup section the Categories option does not allow for Category Images to be hidden, only for the images to be Large/Medium/Small? If no image is added to a Category then a ‘NO IMAGE’ image appears. I would have thought that having the option here to display/not display category images would be a default feature? Are you planning to do so?
    I know that in both the above cases you may suggest css hacks but is that really the best way of handling what should be default features?

• Errol
    Errol
    October 27, 2014 at 11:43 pm

There is an option in theme options > general setup > Misc. to hide category icon and to hide texts with icon – can that help?

• lloyd
    lloyd
    October 27, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Errol,
    Can you help with getting my videos to play? I downloaded the youtube video plugin and cannot get it to work. Thanks. Lloyd

• Errol
    Errol
    October 27, 2014 at 11:55 pm

@lloyd sorry about that – I never use the plugin before may be other members who have use it can give some assistance or you can search the forum for video or video plugin to see if you can find an answer. The other alternative would be to check support to see if they can help – Good luck and hope all goes well.

• Adrian
    Adrian
    October 28, 2014 at 1:55 am

There is an option in General Setup/Misc to to ADD a Category Icon and the option is NO by default and can be changed to YES.

I changed it to YES to see what that did, but could not find its purpose at all? Maybe you could tell me what it is for?

By having that option turned ON or OFF made no difference to my issue

The issue still remains that:
    1. Category Widget Icon cannot be switched OFF (nor replaced with any icons other than the limited selection at )
    2. Category Image cannot be switched OFF

Regards
    Adrian

• Errol
    Errol
    October 28, 2014 at 3:35 am

@Adrian many of these features in the new version of the theme do not have many docs are videos on the forum explaining their purposes at the moment we just have to fiddle around until we sight a change and sometimes we may have to reset permalinks, log-out and login to see some changes which hopefully the Developer will change and improve on in the near future. If there is no answer on the forum for your Q then may be your best if it is not a custom job is to check with support either by a live chat or open a ticket to see if they can shed some insight to the problem or if it is an idea you’re suggesting then the ideas / feature request forum is the best place to add the suggestion. Hope all goes well.

Regards,

• David
    David
    October 28, 2014 at 6:09 am

@Adrian, You can edit the individual categories and simply remove the icon from each.

• Adrian
    Adrian
    October 28, 2014 at 9:21 am

David,

Thanks for your input.

Yes you can remove the icon for the category widget. I like the look of the category icons in the category widget, its just a shame it is limited to icons available at

More importantly is the Category images issue, if I don’t want to display Category images I should have the option not to .

Its a shame that this Business Directory theme does not look like it was developed from the ground up, instead it appears to be a modification of an already buggy Responsive Directory theme

• David
    David
    October 28, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Ok, so you are referring to the homepage categories?

Put the following code in your custom meta data:
    [code title=””]<style>
    #core_categoryblock_side_yes .media .pull-left {display: none;}
    </style>[/code]

• Clive
    Clive
    October 28, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I seem to recall that the fontawesome icons are included as part of the Bootstrap framework.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)