Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

Blog Category Issues

• Stephen
    Stephen
    Newbie 4 points
    October 29, 2013 at 12:07 am

My Blog post categories are showing Product listing format instead of the normal blog format as found in the blog page template. How do I set the blog page to show post listings from categories in the normal blog format. Please advise. Thank you very much.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    October 29, 2013 at 12:21 am

Have you assigned the Blog template to the blog page?

• Stephen
    Stephen
    Newbie 4 points
    October 29, 2013 at 12:43 am

Hi Richard, thanks for your quick response. I have assigned the Blog template to the Blog page. Please look at my test site http://cutiswork.com/category/computers-and-software.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,819 points
    October 29, 2013 at 4:38 am

Stephen

i cannot see any product listing information there..the ‘best laptop deals’ is a blog post as far as i can see.

• Stephen
    Stephen
    Newbie 4 points
    October 29, 2013 at 6:24 am

Hi Mark, earlier I have switch to another theme (Thesis) which is working, the one you just saw. Now, I have switch back to the Responsive Shopping Cart theme. please take a look at http://cutiswork.com/category/computers-and-software. It is displaying the blog postings in product listing format.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,819 points
    October 29, 2013 at 8:46 am

the listing is a blog post.. if it was a product it would have a /product/ permalink on it.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Senior Member 119 points
    August 2, 2014 at 11:18 am

Right, he’s talking about BLOG categories. The way the theme is set up, as I understand it, is that you have to assign a Page to the [BLOG} template, and then all your blog posts go into it. The problem we are trying to solve is that we want a different page for each blog category. Otherwise, there’s no way to look at a single category of blog posts without having it look like a gallery product listing page.

Is there?

I’m trying to work around it by styling each blog category page independently, but the css selectors recommended in the WP codex (either .category-17 or .category-news) aren’t having any effect.

Ideas?

Thanks, Jennifer

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,819 points
    August 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Blog categories will stop open in a new window with its own permaalink, you can’t show category items in a page without custom coding.

What’s the link to your blog?

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Senior Member 119 points
    August 6, 2014 at 1:55 am

Hi Mark,

Here’s an example of the problem. If you go to my home page at http://weedgear.com, and scroll down, you’ll see that I have blog post archives below the carousels. Under the blog post title, is the name of the blog post category. I want multiple categories. Right now, there’s only 1. If you click on that category, it takes you to a search results-style page. I have done some custom work to remove the “Listings” text from the top.

Ideally, this page would be in the format of the Blog Archive Page, and only contain posts within its category. Otherwise, I don’t have a choice but to hide the categories and have posts of all different topics showing up on one page. I think the problem could be easily solved by having multiple [BLOG] templates so a Page could be made for each one. Then, when someone’s making the page for topic 1, they’d choose [BLOG1], topic 2 = [BLOG2] and so on. Maybe just put a dozen in there or so.

Here’s the link to the other thread in this forum where this issue is being discussed. http://www.premiumpress.com/forums/topic/creating-pages-that-only-display-posts-of-specific-categries/#post-56614

Thanks, Jennifer

• Mark
    Mark
    Titan 737 points
    August 6, 2014 at 8:50 am

@Jeniffer, if you want to change the look of the ‘search listing page’ for the blog posts, you can simply use the admin > Theme Options > Page Setup > Content Pages > Fallback Results Layout

Mark

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Senior Member 119 points
    August 6, 2014 at 9:34 am

That would also change the layout of the product listings, which would be bad. The blog layout shouldn’t have to be the same layout as the product listings pages. For that matter, I have it set on fallback now, and it’s in gallery format. I’d like to have the blog category pages in archive page layout.

I don’t need separate Pages for the blog as long as the landing page for their already-existing url’s is like the [BLOG] template.

Am I making sense?

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Senior Member 119 points
    August 6, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’m talking about the already-existing urls for the individual categories. Sorry for not clarifying that.

• Mark
    Mark
    Titan 737 points
    August 6, 2014 at 9:46 am

The fallback section is for anything else but products, so it will not change the layout of your products.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Senior Member 119 points
    August 6, 2014 at 9:52 am

I see that it says that above the box, but nothing that I put in that box has any effect on the look of my blog category landing pages. Even if the shortcode in there were doing anything, it wouldn’t be changing the layout from gallery to archive.

• Mark
    Mark
    Titan 737 points
    August 6, 2014 at 10:06 am

That seems like some bug. Maybe Mark can add a separate section for blog into the layout options?

Wish Richard Bonk was here, he would for sure come up with some wicked plugin for that. 😥

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)