Am I in over my head?

• N. Mason
    Newbie 10 points
    July 7, 2016 at 1:54 am

Alright, I’m an admitted newb, but I’ve built WP websites before that were perfectly functional.

There’s a number of things I would like to do to make this VT website more intuitive for my users.

#1. Why the insistence on calling everything a listing? This is a video theme, and I would expect that the main components would be videos, and be called “videos” not “listings.” (Could this be a European vs. American terminology issue?) Calling them listings within the website seems confusing to the user, who should understand that what they are after are the “VIDEOS”. Is there a way to globally change this terminology? If I need to manually change the templates, how do I do that?

#2. I need a page that explains the membership packages and “listing” packages. As is, it seems like too many clicks to get to the option to purchase a membership or “listing” package. Further, I would prefer to call my “listing” packages a “lesson” package, as my intent is to allow users to purchase a video of themselves playing the piano and get my video feedback. Am I trying to shoehorn functionality onto a theme that doesn’t really allow that sort of thing?

#3. I tried changing the footer text in the widget section of WP. There’s a widget for footer left, footer middle, and footer right. The footer right text is repeated 4 times (4X? left + middle + right=4?). What am I doing wrong?

#4. Most of what I’ve done prior to purchasing this theme was using the WP page and post editor with some html tweaks where needed. What do I need to look into to make the kind of changes I’m describing. php? If so, could you recommend a good resource? I’ll gladly invest the time in figuring it out so I don’t bore the forum with simplistic help requests.

All in all, I’m really digging the theme, I’m just having a bear of a time trying to get it to do some things that I feel shouldn’t be that hard to do. thoughts?

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    July 7, 2016 at 6:19 am

In reference to Number 3, you have to delete the widgets then add them again,.

Have you bothered to watch any of the videos from Premium press. I had to watch all them several times

In referrer to number 2, if you need a page to explain things, then thats what you must need to do. When creating Listing Packages Or Membership packages you are giving places to enter text to explain things.

Best start by watching the videos

• Adnan
    Adnan
    Elite Member 527 points
    July 7, 2016 at 6:39 am

#1: You can change the word “listing” globally to something else in language file. Additinonally, (listing) Permalinks can be also changed. WordPress Settings -> Permalinks.

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    July 7, 2016 at 6:41 am

Yes that language file, make a back up 1st, one wrong mistake and can screw up yr site

Use Wordpad++

• N. Mason
    Newbie 10 points
    July 7, 2016 at 11:22 am

Jason, thanks.

Regarding #1, I did fill in the explanation texts in the theme design>listing packages area. Is there an easy way to create a page that has these elements that I can link to in a top level menu?

• N. Mason
    Newbie 10 points
    July 7, 2016 at 11:40 am

Jason, Thanks on #3. And I guess forth right maybe means “fourth” right?

• Jason
    Jason
    Guru 837 points
    July 8, 2016 at 12:26 am

Yes, and # 1 is a set file, If you know coding (which I dont) you can modify it

• connie
    Newbie 7 points
    July 28, 2016 at 7:28 pm

n. mason
    you have some of the same issues i do.. how can we connect?
    CW
    bluerocktalk@gmail.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes