When username is already registered…

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    April 15, 2015 at 9:32 am

As a test, I tried to create a new user with a username that is already registered. There was no message saying “username unavailable”. Instead, the site reloads the registration screen that says “We are protecting ourselfs from spam, please click here to register.”

If a new member doesn’t know why they are sent back to the first registration screen, they will have a very frustrating experience repeating the process over and over again.

Does anyone have insight on how to fix this problem? I appreciate your help.

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    April 15, 2015 at 9:50 am

Hello Delali
    Could you provide url please

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    April 15, 2015 at 10:47 am

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    April 15, 2015 at 11:54 am

I have created a test user account in your site then tried to register again with the same details and the alert (Sorry, that username already exists! ) is showing,see attached image

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.
  • Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    April 15, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Hmm… I tried again twice with different usernames and for some reason, I don’t get that error message. Thanks for checking it out for me, though.

I’m not sure what to do. It seems like a small thing to open a support ticket for.

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    April 16, 2015 at 5:17 am

Try to clear your browser cache if that does not work try a different browser

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    April 16, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, neither of those worked. I still get booted back to first registration page. I also tried on a different computer that I never use; I got the same result.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    April 17, 2015 at 3:16 am

i tried but the couldnt fin any issues either.Have you tried a different browser/computer?

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    April 17, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Hi Mark,
    Yes, I’ve tried both, a new browser and a new computer.

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    May 12, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Okay, I discovered that the network I’m using (on a university campus) blocks certain ports. Their crazy firewall doesn’t allow for much to get done, so I tried using a VPN and presto, problem solved.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    May 13, 2015 at 12:09 am

thanks for updating

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes