Website Button Option & edited URL

• Mujahid
    Mujahid
    Newbie 5 points
    March 11, 2020 at 11:04 am

This question is in 3 parts, concerning the URL in DT Theme

1, On the listing page the URL of the business shows – can this be hidden by either a button or text link instead ?
    2, Can we use a campaign URL ? for example :
    https://DOMAIN NAME/?utm_source=YOURWEBSITE&utm_medium=DIRECTORY&utm_campaign=MEMBERSHIP
    Where URL is entered as usual by the Listing Owner but the URL is changed so the owner can see the results in Google Analytics etc.
    3, Can we make the outbound links “no-follow” ?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,498 points
    March 12, 2020 at 5:08 am

Hello,

“1, On the listing page the URL of the business shows – can this be hidden by either a button or text link instead ?”

The file to edit would be:
    /DT9/_directory/widgets/widget-call.php

1. If it doesn’t exist, create a sub-directory in your child theme directory called widgets.
    2. Make a copy of the widget-call.php file and do your edit (look around lines #47-49 to edit or remove).
    3. Add the file to the /widgets directory you just created.

“2, Can we use a campaign URL ? for example :
    https://DOMAIN NAME/?utm_source=YOURWEBSITE&utm_medium=DIRECTORY&utm_campaign=MEMBERSHIP

There isn’t anything built-in that does this. I can be done, but this would require custom solution by you or a developer.

“3, Can we make the outbound links “no-follow” ?”

There isn’t anything built-in that does this either. Would need to edit some files. Which file(s) to edit depends on which page the links you’re referring to are located.

• Mujahid
    Mujahid
    Newbie 5 points
    March 12, 2020 at 9:21 am

Thanks JamesD for the detailed reply.

Its on my ToDo list now.

• Marie
    Marie
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    March 13, 2020 at 3:25 am

Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Mujahid
    Mujahid
    Newbie 5 points
    March 22, 2020 at 4:54 pm

UPDATE :

1, GO TO WEBSITE button : I have managed to Add a button to the Listing page – using the Elementor Plugin – and this has done the job.

2, CAMPAIGN URL : Now that i use the the Go To Website Button, My URLs can be updated to the required URL. This allows the URL to show in the Listings’ Google Analytics Account.

3, I have used a Plugin called External Links, this allows you to make all external links “No Follow” and open in a “new page” as per your settings.

I am not sure if this is a better way of doing it then hard coding.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,498 points
    March 22, 2020 at 8:23 pm

@Mujahid

Hard coding would be more of a last result if needed. If what you setup works for your needs, go with it.

Note: Keep in mind that it is possible the widgets can potentially break if the widget is updated in a future theme update.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes