Im starting todo alot of blog posts regarding 8.4 so i thought it best i clear some of the questions up here.
8.4 is currently a stable download only, i have not released an update from earlier versions yet.
8.4 has alot of core and visual changes, do not try and compare it to 8.3 or below as many options are not part of the core theme and so may appear missing when infact they are built in.
I am still working on 8.4 and for this reason i have not released any official information about it is because i do not want thousands of users trying to update.
Please bear with me guys, thank you.
i do not want thousands of users trying to update.
You are forgetting the first law of PremiumPress:
The lower the level of technical skills and experience of the theme purchaser:
1. The greater the desire to install updates and untested plugins the second they are released 2. The more they decide that it’s fine to tinker with core theme files (even though they usually know f*ck all about coding) – I mean who needs child themes? 3. The more they believe that regular backups and dev sites are a complete waste of time 4. The more prolific they are about making numerous forum posts asking for inherently stupid features to be added to the themes 5. The more they believe they are buying a fully working commercial grade portal for $70, and don’t understand why things like custom coding, bespoke graphics, CSS tweaks etc aren’t included in the $70 price tag 6. The less they like to waste time on trivial things – like reading theme documentation, watching theme videos or learning about basic WordPress functionality.
Feel free to add any more rules that I’ve missed below 🙂
Thanks Mark and Clive 🙂
Being a business owner you know the old saying – The customers is always right and you cannot please everyone all the time; so many of times the merchants and their employees have to deal accordingly with certain situations that may confront them in their business just to have a peace of mind.
Mark many of us being around here long enough to know that you always do your best to keep your customer happy to the best of your ability and this is one of the reasons we’re still here even though many shinny bright objects may cloak and present themselves.
A humble request to Mark Fail:
As long as you announce that you are working on an update, eveny one wants the updated version on the very next day.. Every one will get excited, will start chasing you on date of delivery and will get lots of questions on the same subject. You will get extreme pressure, start releasing ( Aug 9, Aug 10, Aug 11) and no one knows the difference.
The request here is:
1. In the Members’ area, you make available two versions. Like: 8.3 Stable Version and 8.4 Beta Version / Only for first time install /
2. Please mention the Version No. in the member area. Even you can make it for the Aug 9. 10. 11 release as 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 respt…
3. Please mention the version no. in the Theme demo area ( few new buyers got confused & frustrated).
4. Publish one blog with all the details related to the upcoming release and make it fixed on the forum home page until you release the auto updatable version.. This is to avoid, so many questions from users like Jobs board, shoppress, etc..
5. Minimising core file changes on every update
6. Make sure, you are having minimum 5 hours of good sleep every day.
8.4 looks awesome, Mark.
I noticed that the shop theme post type is ‘listing type’? Does that mean you’re going to add in a ‘listing setup’ section like the directory theme etc, cause that would be awesome!
Look forward to updating my multisite in due course.
All themes are moving to the same post_type so plugins can work for all themes. This wouldn’t affect anything since the display is custom anyways.
The shop theme is not going to have a listing setup options as its not designed to allow visitors to submit products.
Due to the admin layout changes, There’s a bug with some of your plugins injecting into a location that no longer exists – i.e the thumbnailing plugin causes the layout options box to disappear completely.
Thanks, Mark – I know I’ve asked before. I got little excited when I had a nosey in the demo admin panel and seen ‘listing_type’. I’m mainly after the ability to set up site wide attributes or custom fields so to save time on having to do each product one at a time. Luckily I only have 7 products 😆
I have had a mosey around v8.4 and it looks great although the previous version was just fine and will take a while to get used to using.
At first sight the search speeds are looking impressive [even before caching!] and pagination efficient and I have tested 40,000 listings – which used to cause it to crash.
However at the moment its on a testing server – so I am thinking I’d like to take a punt at installing it for live use complete with widgets/plugins etc
If I update from 8.3
Do I delete the old version first?
In which I guess all my customizations will be lost and I will effectively have to start again?
Can I continue to use a Child Theme?
I guess you suggested not using the Child Theme just for the purposes of my initial tests?
Yup, I’m loving the speed.
Updating from 8.3 is not recomended. Chances are there, many customization can be lost.
8.4 is a full install so your welcome to install onto a new site but i wouldnt recommend it on an old one unless you dont mind if the data gets lost.
Hello Mark, From where we can download the Directory Theme v8.4 to Test on a Dev server ? I am waiting for it because I had a support ticket with 2-3 bugs and you replied in email to wait for the update, as they will be fixed in next update. Regards. Sukanta
Start your new website today!