Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

Understanding Classifieds organization

• Chris
    Chris
    Newbie 70 points
    July 7, 2013 at 3:20 am

Hi,

I’m really struggling with what is likely a very simple concept but for some reason, I don’t get it. I can’t figure out how, or when, or why to use category vs. custom taxonomy vs custom field for organizing classifieds.

Lets say I have a site that offers ads for the sale of Widgets.
    And the widgets come in 2 styles, Red and Blue.
    And each style can be found by size, Small, Medium, Large.
    And then all of the widgets styles and size also have further attributes such as best used for, condition, age, etc.

How would you set all this up?

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    July 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

Ok simply put;

1. a category groups listings ie, cars category

2. taxonomy groups listings data, ie, blue cars

3. custom fields add data to listings, title, description, color etc

i wouldn’t worry about taxonomy groups if your confused, just stick to categories.

• Chris
    Chris
    Newbie 70 points
    July 8, 2013 at 8:01 am

Ok,
    Starting to make sense. Using the car analogy since everybody knows cars basically!

A site catering to used automotive ads. Since cars, trucks, and motorcycles all come in blue, red, and green you can set up these three in common selections as taxonomies? And since cars, trucks and motorcycles have additional features that are more unique to each then use custom fields for these?

Using this structure, could visitors then search for all blue cars with 4 cylinders? Or perhaps all cars any color with 4 cylinders?

And the person creating the listing are they limited to select from a pre-cooked list of taxonomies? And limited to a pre-cooked list of custom fields?

Cars (Category)
    -> Blue (Taxonomy)
    –> # of doors (CF)
    –> # of cylinder(CF)
    –> hardtop/ ragtop (CF)
    -> Red (Taxonomy)
    –> # of doors (CF)
    –> # of cylinder(CF)
    –> hardtop/ ragtop (CF)
    -> Green (Taxonomy)
    –> # of doors (CF)
    –> # of cylinder(CF)
    –> hardtop/ ragtop (CF)

Trucks (Category)
    -> Blue (Taxonomy)
    –> # of cylinders (CF)
    –> towing capacity (CF)
    –> 2wd/4wd (CF)
    -> Red (Taxonomy)
    –> # of cylinders (CF)
    –> towing capacity (CF)
    –> 2wd/4wd (CF)
    -> Green (Taxonomy)
    –> # of cylinders (CF)
    –> towing capacity (CF)
    –> 2wd/4wd (CF)

Motorcycles (Category)
    -> Blue (Taxonomy)
    –> wind shield (CF)
    –> sport/touring/off road
    -> Red (Taxonomy)
    –> wind shield (CF)
    -> Green (Taxonomy)
    –> wind shield (CF)

And then if I were to add another category “Auto Accessories” and it had it’s own set of taxonomies such as window tinting, mag wheels, stereo systems. And perhaps some custom fields specific to accessories. This can be done? Good idea? Bad idea? Better, simpler way?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
    Chris

• Matthew
    Matthew
    Newbie 1 points
    October 18, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Hi I am trying to build a used car website, so obviously I would like to have makes and models for users to choose from.

If you could take a look at the attached image via imgur link I have created 2 custom fields one called makes and the other models and basically when someone selects a make BMW for example I would like the models field then to list all of the Models within the make which was selected. I thought this might be able to be done with Categories and Sub-categories but I am having trouble figuring out how, to extend the point, if someone selected Mercedes Benz in the make drop down I would then want the models drop down to list all the relevant models.IMAGE

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)