Turning Newsletter off – everywhere

• Chris
    Chris
    Senior Member 106 points
    April 6, 2020 at 1:15 am

I don’t want to use the Newsletter feature that comes with my theme. I have figured out how to turn it off in settings, but that does not remove the widget from footers or sidebars. I have figured out how to change a footer so that it does not have the newsletter widget but I cannot figure out how to remove it from all of the sidebars.

Anyone know the secret sauce for that?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,733 points
    April 6, 2020 at 3:15 am

There’s a setting for the footer layout under PremiumPress > Design Setup or you can create a new one in Elementor and assign it under PremiumPress > Design Setup > Page Linking under the Section Changes area.

There may be sidebar widgets being used under Appearance > Widgets.

• Chris
    Chris
    Senior Member 106 points
    April 6, 2020 at 4:14 am

thanks for replying but in my original post I stated that I was able to figure out the footer and removing it from there. I also have gone through the sidebars and there are not any widgets in there at all. I did notice that if I add a widget to each sidebar, like a simple text widget, that it does remove some of the default sidebar widgets but not all of them.

In other words, on some pages in the theme adding your own widgets has the desired effect but on other pages it merely adds the new widget to the bottom of the existing widgets.

And the newsletter widget does not have a specific class I could target to hide it, which is a stupid hack, but that isn’t going to work either.

So once again I’m going to have to dig through code.

I have had multiple licenses for ppt over the past decade, and to date I’ve never been able to launch a site based on it.

Starting to think I shoulda just created an app from scratch.

I wish there was real documentation as I am sure there must be a way to remove that freaking widget.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,733 points
    April 6, 2020 at 4:56 am

Read it as “I haven’t figured…” and not “I have figured…”. My apologies.

“In other words, on some pages in the theme adding your own widgets has the desired effect but on other pages it merely adds the new widget to the bottom of the existing widgets.”

Which pages/page types are different and adding them under the default widgets?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,733 points
    April 6, 2020 at 5:23 am

“I wish there was real documentation…”

Oh… I fully agree, I think this a huge part of the problem people are facing.

It can be challenging, if not at least frustrating, not knowing where to look, what’s available or what things are, what they can/can’t do. Unfortunately, it seems the settings change rather frequently. Maybe one day there will be some long-term consistency with them (and documentation).

• Chris
    Chris
    Senior Member 106 points
    April 6, 2020 at 5:34 am

Found this, Mark says he fixed it back in feb 23/2020 – but it doesn’t work for me, to simply turn that feature off.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Chris
    Chris
    Senior Member 106 points
    April 6, 2020 at 5:40 am

Which pages/page types are different and adding them under the default widgets?

For sure /listing-categories/ which i believe is an archive post type.

I’m going to drop a simple widget into every sidebar slot and see exactly what happens.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,733 points
    April 6, 2020 at 6:27 am

One thing to keep in mind is if any of the pages are assigned an Elementor template, then the template may have the default sidebar Elementor widget. This could possibly explain when it adds it to the bottom.

• Chris
    Chris
    Senior Member 106 points
    April 6, 2020 at 6:36 am

That page is not an elementor template.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,733 points
    April 6, 2020 at 10:14 pm

@Chris

Back in November 2019 Mark mentioned it was fixed in v9.3.9 and then again in Feb 2020.

How do I remove the newsletter widget from the about-us system generated page

So, it’s hard to say when it broke and/or if it was corrected.

Unless you’re against it, it may be easier just to re-create the category page template with your own and replace the sidebar widgets with what you want.

• Chris
    Chris
    Senior Member 106 points
    April 7, 2020 at 4:36 pm

I out a ticket in and got a reply “check now”. The widget is gone, but no explanation as to how, was it a setting I should know about? I don’t think so – since I went over them all. Did they modify a template or core file, that will break next update? I don’t know! Would be nice to get that info, and I have asked for it.

• Chris
    Chris
    Senior Member 106 points
    April 8, 2020 at 4:33 am

In short, the solution is to hide stuff with css… I hope that is temporary. At least if it gets fixed in a future release, the hide with css bandaid won’t break anything.

Realistically, a feature like. newsletter should be handled by a plugin, I would encourage Mark to think about that a bit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes