Shopperpress Datafeedr change

WordPress Business Themes Forums General Discussion Shopperpress Datafeedr change

Shopperpress Datafeedr change

July 2, 2013
 Jorge

• Jorge
    Newbie 8 points

Hi Mark,

I really don’t know where to put this topic in, so I just placed it in general discussion, as it looks like all the shopperpress datafeedr posts have been eliminated somehow. Anyways, what I noticed from all the posts I did read, is that people were trying to import their products from their datafeedr database, and kept getting timed out. I started to import my products from datafeedr, and noticed not only did the script time out, but while importing, my website would be down. (That’s not good). I went ahead and copied your datafeedr import class, and made some modifications, and created cron job file.

I did notice that when having nested categories, if the categories were the same name, they didn’t get created. For example, I have a category called clothing. It goes something like this:

Clothing->Men->Jeans
    Clothing->Women->Jeans

If I ran your script, and it created Men->Jeans first, then when it got to Women->Jeans, it wouldn’t create. In that script I have fixed that, and it creates just fine now.

The advantage I have found with this cron job is, that I can navigate the website even if I am importing products from datafeedr. I have also added a feature to detect weather you want to update all of your products, or just add the new ones. That makes the script a bit faster, as it skips the ones that are already imported.

I’d like to give this script to you, so you can take a look at it, and see if something can be done to benefit other users of shopperpress.

Let me know.
    Thanks.

July 2, 2013 at 9:57 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

Hi Jorge

thats very kind of you, you can zip it and attach it here and ill take a look.

It wont create a category of the same name because the slug will already exist, if you change the slug value to be unique it will create it.

July 3, 2013 at 12:43 am

• Jorge
    Newbie 8 points

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest. I have attached the class on this post. I have been testing it out, and made a bit more changes last night. The script is running as I type, and seems to import very well. The only issue I am seeing now is, it may still time out after about 500 or so products, depending on the server, but at least it doesn’t leave your website hanging.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Jorge. Reason: Re uploading file. File type (.php) not permitted
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Jorge. Reason: Once again, re uploading file as txt format
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Jorge. Reason: ... No extension?
    July 3, 2013 at 11:06 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

thanks Jorge

The one issue iv always had is that when a script runs for too long it times out, with most people stocking up 10,000+ products via datafeedr this is when the problems arise.

I’m wondering if there is a better way todo it, when you import items into your site using the plguin provided by datafeedr, does the timeouts still happen?

July 3, 2013 at 11:13 am

• Jorge
    Newbie 8 points

Nope, it doesn’t timeout. It only times out when using shopperpress datafeedr import. To me, it timed out even with less than 1k products. I upped the time in php.ini file, and still got timed out. I will take a look into datafeedr’s plugin, and see what is different from your code.

By the way, did you get the attachment, seems that it’s not letting me attach any files, no matter what extension I give it.

Any help?

Thanks.

July 3, 2013 at 11:18 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

you need to .zip them.

July 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

• Jorge
    Newbie 8 points

Let’s see if this works.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    July 3, 2013 at 11:29 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

thanks, looks alot cleaner good stuff.

how many products do you have on your DF account?

July 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm

• Jorge
    Newbie 8 points

I had about 5K more or less, before I deleted them, and started fresh once again. I currently have about 1.5k products.

I have to say, although it is working fine, but I’m not satisfied with the overall result just yet. I will keep working with this issue, and try to perfect it at max.

July 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

thanks, would love to (if you dont mind) get some logins to test the import prodcess myself, its been along while since iv worked with DF.

my email is: mark@markfail.com

July 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm

• Alexander
    Newbie 1 points

Hi Mark, i would like to continu on this topic. I’m recently installed comparisonpress and I’m using datafeedr to import feeds via their pluging into comparisonpress.

I’m having a lot of products probably over 200K (books) and it seems that importing via the datafeedr pluging works (slow, but it does the trick) but when I then try to import all the products in the database via the import product option of comparisonpress the system times out. I’ve already tried to increase the timeout settings in php.ini to 300 instead of 30 but still the problem occurs.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this? I used pricetapestry a while ago and they had a slow import tool included that allow packaged import to avoid timouts.

cheers,
    Alexander

July 17, 2013 at 7:36 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

It’s something im working on but could really do with a large feed file to test it, iv got a few but my dev sites are all local so it imports without error.

The other issues is that everyons hosting is different, so some with upload 10,000 listings without issues whilst others will struggle with 1,000.

July 17, 2013 at 9:49 am
  • Amy
    Amy
    Newbie 3 points

Would you like to experiment with my feed? I’ve got over 25,000 products I’m trying to import into Shopperpress using Datafeedr and it just won’t do it. It will import around 3800 each time I try and that’s it. Datafeedr is importing fine. It’s just moving it into Shopperpress that causes problems.

July 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

yes please!

please email me at mark@markfail.com

July 22, 2013 at 1:04 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

im looking at the datafeedr integration again to see if there is a better way of doing this. It seems alot has changed since i first used their application.

Is their recommended way of importing content as ‘drip feed’ approach?

Anyone any feedback on how useful datafeedr is these days as it doesnt seem to provide many details product data besides the image, price and title.

July 22, 2013 at 8:02 am
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team