Moving DP 7.l.4 to responsive at a new domain

• Martin
    Martin
    Newbie 38 points
    May 11, 2015 at 6:58 am

Hi Folks,

It’s long overdue, but I’m moving the old version of DP I created at http://www.myanmarassociates.com to http://www.myanmarbiz2biz.com.

I wasn’t sure Mark’s plugin could be used for this, so I thought I would migrate the users (members) first via the site’s CP, and then use the WP export/import to get the rest of the job done.

I followed the instructions Hostgator provided for exporting/importing WP users, using the database export/import commands available within PhpMyAdmin. It broke the installation completely.

Can someone tell me the best way to go about this? Can Mark’s plugin be used to migrate a PP directory from one site to another, or is it only made for use within the same site?

Martin

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    May 11, 2015 at 7:23 am

My plugin simply updates the existing post data so it works with the new themes. I suggest you simply use the import/export tool in WP to copy everything from your old site to the new one then run my plugin to to the rest.

• Martin
    Martin
    Newbie 38 points
    May 11, 2015 at 7:28 am

Thanks Mark, but how do I move the users? I don’t think WP export/import does this?

When I used WP export in the old site, and then went to import them into the new, it gave me the option to assign each listing to a user. But at this point they have not yet been imported. Obviously I would like to maintain the relationship between the listings and the members who created them. Does the plugin take care of this, or will I have to do it manually one by one?

Can you point to where the instructions are for using the plugin?

Martin

• Martin
    Martin
    Newbie 38 points
    May 13, 2015 at 4:59 am

Using the WP import/export tool put my categories into Posts – Categories instead of Listings – Categories which is where I needed them. So I wouldn’t recommend this method.

I used the Duplicator plugin to clone the site to the new location, then installed the responsive them, then installed and ran the plugin (the transfer tool is the last on the list of Theme Options.)

That got me halfway there.

Do I need to move the thumbnails of the sites for the listings to a different folder? Or is there a way to regenerate them?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes