i can't leave a comment

• Shahibur
    Shahibur
    Newbie 33 points
    May 3, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Hi,
    I am using responsive latest theme on wordpress 4.2.1

I can’t left any comment ! even though i am admin.

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    May 3, 2015 at 3:45 pm

That’s good.

Comments are a security risk, and have been turned off in WP versions 4.2 onwards.

• Simon
    Simon
    Newbie 52 points
    May 3, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Clive,

Where have you read that?

I understand Comments have been patched, not turned off. WP 4.2 still has commenting options.

I believe this is a PP issue – has nobody looked into this yet?? Upgrading your site to WP 4.2 will prevent PP website users from leaving reviews, comments on listings etc.

Fairly urgent resolve required?

S

• Shahibur
    Shahibur
    Newbie 33 points
    May 3, 2015 at 8:45 pm

yes, my website all about comments.

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    May 3, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Switch to another theme e.g. 2015 and try to leave a comment.

Are you able to?

• Simon
    Simon
    Newbie 52 points
    May 3, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Hi Clive,

Just tried it and yes, WP theme 2015 allows me to add comments.

This is definitely a PP issue.

I only have the latest version of Directory Responsive theme installed, so there are no plugin conflicts.

Simon

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    May 4, 2015 at 12:35 am

White screen…. ditto… damn!

Just upgraded theme plugins and core… and now can not receive any comments from users!

Hope gets fixed soon….

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    May 4, 2015 at 1:21 am

ill have a look into this, must be something in 4.2

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    May 4, 2015 at 2:38 am

ok looks like the security update for WP has adjusted the code requirements for comments slightly, iv added a patch in 8.2 to resolve this issue.

8.2 is out this weekend or early next week.

• Liz
    Liz
    Elite Member 441 points
    May 4, 2015 at 1:11 pm

OMG……. So how do we best update our themes from 8.1 to 8.2. Please can somebody explain, Mark was kind enough to update my theme from 8 to 8.1 previously, however I had days of customizations to fix up again, this couldn’t have come at a worse time for me as I’m just about to launch my site 🙁 with paid advertising Expensive Paid advertising.

Oh Dear……… Time for a bottle of Red I think……

• Simon
    Simon
    Newbie 52 points
    May 4, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Many thanks for the update Mark, look forward to 8.2 when its ready.

Liz – do you keep a log of all customizations made? i.e. changes to which file, which line etc.

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    May 4, 2015 at 3:06 pm

@mark can you provide us code for quick fix until 8.2?

We have a busy site and have just upgraded to make our review section prominent on our page to encourage even more reviews. We spend day redoing our listing pages, as old ones did not work with 8.1 (we came from 6.x.x).
    Then after tweaked we suddenly found this error… now we have even more people trying to leave reviews but presented with blank page.

We understand this is due to WP core changing with latest security update… But if you can share a line or two of code that will fix while we wait for 8.2 that would be awesome 🙂

Some of my sites can wait for 8.2 but have one or two that must have working comments…

IDEA: In future could we have a dedicated post in this forum so people can see what versions of WP have been tested with what versions of PremiumPress themes…
    Think this would be awesome, and needed for those who have live sites that can not risk downtime of features.

For myself I will maybe update and test on a low traffic site before upgrading all of my sites… Also may now switch off auto-updates to WP core 🙁

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    May 4, 2015 at 9:08 pm

This is exactly why:

1. You should always use a Child Theme to make customisation changes and tweaks, instead of altering the core plugin files, and

2. You should always test theme updates etc on a Development site before deploying them on a production (i.e. live) site.

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 74 points
    May 4, 2015 at 9:26 pm

@clive this is a good idea, but think my WP auto updated the core anyway, then proceeded to update plugins and DT theme.

Also child theme for my is not suitable for all changes I require, but we document our changes and can easily remodify when needed. We make backups of our changes and this is not a problem for us really.
    We spent the day making changes as we was also tweaking our page layout to optimize user interaction and advert placement 🙂

• zarko
    zarko
    Senior Member 360 points
    May 4, 2015 at 9:30 pm

As a temporary fix until update is released you can use plugin attached, upload it to Plugins menu and activate, comments should work fine

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes